Record-playing Rituals?

I'm curious what everybody's riuals are when listening to albums. How often do you clean the records? Every Time? How often do you clean and lubricate the stylus? Every time?

David
deshapiro
IMO, there are only three types of records to clean:

1. Used, prior to the first play
2. New, if they come from the pressing plant with hints of distortion (rare)
3. 30 or more plays

I use a Spin Clean because they're inexpensive and work well. The only issue I encountered was static build up. Of course you can purchase a Zero Stat, but what fun is that? So I built a contraption while unemployed a couple of years ago out of scraps in a NYC apartment. It kept my mind moving and entertained for a week. It's become a conversation piece, every time someone comes over, I get the, "what the hell is that thing". Think of the original Willie Wonka...
VIP 16.5 on new or used w distilled h2o, their cleaning detergent/wetting agent aliquot and 20% isopropyl. Then each time, the static gun from maple shade and a discwasher, then static gun and hunt eda brusg. Anti static gun gets pulled and released at least 2 x per lp revolution while either brush engaged. Then old audio technica sonic stylus brush slowly from back to front (my hands not steady since childhood so this is a long slow sweep, afraid to linger as I might damage cantilever). Then drop lever and run to chair.
That image scared me. I hadn't checked my stylus with a scope in about 6 months, so I checked my cart (Dynavector XV1-S) this morning with my USB digital microscope (same one Michael recommends) and found it to be clean ---very unlike Michael's picture. I hope Michael will let on what the culprit was. But I can tell you what it's not.
I use Audio Desk System for cleaning records and for years prior VPI HW 17 with Mobile Fidelity or Audio Intelligent cleaning fluids. None of these cleaners or cleaning products left residue on my cart in past microscopic viewings.
For stylus cleaning-- I use Zerodust probably once every other listening session and MoFi lp #9 about once every 5 or 6 sessions. After my initial microscopic view of the cart this morning, I for the first time used the short, dense stiff bristle brush that came with the cart and gave it a few light swipes. When I looked at the microscopic view post-brush I can say that the brush improved the picture from clean to very clean ----leaving me with a big question----If i just used the brush alone, would that do the trick?
Not sure I really care as my procedure on cart cleaning takes so little time. I will probably reduce the frequency or even eliminate the use of lp #9 however as fluids may not be the way to go over the long haul.