Does Every Track Sound Great on Your System?

How do you know if it is the recording or your system?

By way of example with a focus on bass, for some songs I like the amount of bass, then another song I feel like it needs more bass to hit harder, and then another song I feel like there is too much bass and it is boomy. Does that ever happen to you? I feel like I am getting the treble sorted out, but going back and forth on the bass.

Can anyone listen to the first 20 second of the song Temptation by Diana Krall from the Girl In The Other Room album and let me know if there is a bass component that is a bit much? The vocals sound good so no issue there.

Thanks.

12many

In response to your question, I read many mentions of EQ and a handful of room and setup questions..I don't recall anyone mentioning something like a UMIK-1 measuring mic and REW.

Once you're comfortable measuring and analyzing the results, I think you'll:

1. Be able to fix or mitigate any bass issues by setup or treatment

2. Live with the mix as is, knowing your system is producing what's there.

I find Diana krall albums to all be of great quality. Wish others would be this good. Also the artist Her has well recorded music. I wish everything they did in the 70s was done using better recording techniques.  A lot of what you listen to in recent recordings is artificial and you don't know what's real instruments versus some synthesized equivalent.

Have you tried the DSP functionality of roon to help out in bass.  Different recordings have different bass.  Amplifiers do a lot to inspire bass inside your speakers. biamping is one way to enhance your bass.  a Lot depends upon the Quality of the recording and its that simple.

@pinthrift 

How do you like your Bacch System would be interesting to see how you can figure it. Can it be used within a home theatre set up?

I find the whole process a bit overwhelming to deal with.

Hi emergingsoul ...

Yes, sadly, the BACCH DSP is indeed daunting, especially for old hands.  My journey includes keeping up with the audio industry, ever mindful of ways to improve my system, on a budget.  I've had the good fortune of cultivating audio friendships to help, often engineers grounded in science with an open mind to refinements in sound not yet aided by measurements.  Other Pinthrift Audiogon discussions address my experiences with the BACCH, plus Marigo micro dots, cabling, room-tuning and other ancillary roads to great sound.  

Best, Pin