Are You a Swifty?

I am. I think she's great.

And You?

128x128jjbeason14

@wesheadley 

Thanks for the SECOND list of music suggestions.  You are very kind and generous.

And, yes, these will be added to my playlist.

@larsman I was making a point with an analogy.
You said “if someone likes something, that means it’s good.”  
I’m saying, “no it doesn’t.”  

@tylermunns Buddy, you can semantically parse your words all you want but, yes, you are enforcing a completely arbitrary and arrogant gateway for what can be considered legitimate art. I'm sorry, that's your opinion and I guess you're entitled to it but, again, you come across as holier-than-thou.

Rest assured I don't take anything you say personally (I mean, why would I? Though judging by the sheer amount of your own word salad you're tossing, you seem to invest a lot of emotion in this forum). But, yes, your earlier comment about 

"It seems odd to me that you would describe as "boring" the hypothetical person who eschews superficial and shallow things (presumably in favor of exciting/interesting/smart things)" 

reinforces my point about snobbery. Your "exciting/interesting/smart" (whatever the hell that last descriptor means) things are to millions boring, meaningless, and uninspiring. 

And your earlier comment:

"Whether there is any merit to exposing oneself to a significant swath of Top 40 music in 2024" 

has been adapted by many and applied to just about any year of pop music over the past half century or more. As if Top 40 music of 1994 or 1984 or 2004 had more or less merit. 

@simao Allow me to once again issue semantic gymnastics and snobbishly parse out words:
“…enforcing a completely arbitrary and arrogant gateway for what can be considered legitimate art…”
Come again?  
gateway?” “enforcing” said gateway? 
What is this crap?  
Ay yi yi…
Who said anything about “legitimate art?” Not me.  That was you.  

I said I think the vast majority of the most popular music today is utter trash (that includes Swift, though I wouldn’t put her in the upper tier of the most egregious offenders). It appears my opinion has struck a nerve, as though you’ve somehow taken this as some personal affront.  
It’s just a personal opinion. You’re free to disagree.  

I wish I could be so flattered to think I had the power to be a “cultural gate-keeper” and “enforce a gateway” to the whole of the music-listening population, but I don’t.  
You’re giving me waaaaaaaaay too much power, bud.  
Again, it’s just 1 out of 8,000,000,000 opinions.  
I’m not sitting here as though I’m some God-like bouncer at some Studio 54-esque gate, checking everyone’s music collection and saying, “nope, sorry, you can’t come in…too lame…you can’t enter the world of music fandom.”  
Just. A. Guy.

You referenced this sentence of mine, “ - Whether there is any merit to exposing oneself to a significant swath of Top 40 music in 2024.”  
Not sure if you just totally missed the point or if you were taking my words out of context or some combination of both. 
That was something I wrote in a previous post here, a bullet-point-thing merely illustrating the various topics I’d addressed here (there was a knucklehead who chose to join the forum and just start firing away Yosemite Sam-style with the political trolling, and he foolishly tried to insinuate my contributions to the thread were of the same nature, so I just listed the various topics I’d addressed, all of which were relevant to this thread on Taylor Swift, none of the topics remotely close political candidates or Bible sales)
It was a question, not a statement either way.   
I’m not really sure what your last sentence is getting at

@tylermunns Nothing of what you've blathered about has struck a nerve save for the unctuous manner in which you blather. At least millercarbon had a sense of humor.

And yes, I did say "legitimate art" as that's the conclusion one can reach about your opinions on the manner. 

Anyway, best of luck with things. 

More to discover