Dynavector XV-1s What is the REAL story?

I have read the performance parameters required for best sound in this cartridge, by the great HP,which I found interesting and perplexing.I then read,what seems to be a complete about face of HP's findings,by Mr Fremer,in Stereophile.Mr. Fremer does make a valid argument(we're talking tracking force)for correct alignment in the coils,and claims the mfgr's suggested force is the way to go.Makes sense,to me, NOT to stray from what the original designer has recommended!Yet,what do I know?It also seemed that MR Fremer was intentionally making the point,that HP was a bit clueless regarding downforce.

Well,now we have the "new audio pioneer"(I do like the guy,alot)Arthur Salvatore,on his "really fun to follow" web pages,stating that after much experience,with the XV-1s,he has concluded that MR Pearson was RIGHT,in recommending a downforce considerably higher than even the mfgr states.Obviously Mr Fremer would be incorrect.Even though his argument follows the line of ultimate reliability,as well as performance.All in a product costing about 4500 bucks--????

So,my argument is this---"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON"???

We have a very expensive product that has gotten a considerable amount of press,where the supposedly top reviewers in the industry cannot seem to agree on a parameter that will DEFINITELY affect both sonic performance,as well as long term reliability!

They claim that "Newbees" are in short supply,and the industry is shrinking.Hmm,I wonder why!

Do we ALL cancel our subscriptions,to these "once hobbyist oriented" journels?Do we rely on forums like this to garnish the "TRUTH",where there STILL are those who "jump" at the opportunity to tout their Favorite possessions,and put in a good word for their favorite designer/manufacturers?

Or do we start to rely on our own sense of perceptions,which(believe me)really begin to "sharpen up",after you have spent your hard earned cash!!

Any thoughts are always welcome!!
sirspeedy70680e509

I agree that 100 hours would be better. The first 20 hours were pretty painful, the next 30 hours things improved, but still poor mid base. I hope the next 50 hours transforms this area. I’ll bet I’ve spent 1 year of my “ audiophile life” waiting for stuff to break in completely. 👍

@labpro , the worst things in life are waiting on audio gear, especially tube based pieces and cartridge. I can normally judge right off the bat if I am going to like it but go though a love hate relationship until it settles in. The DRT XV1s is one of those very special pieces and you should be more than satisfied after it settling down. I am on my third one and you can buy them new for a very reasonable price. The extra VTF suggested early in this thread, I believe is related to the carts pairing with the VPI 12 inch arms FWIW. Enjoy the music.

Just to close the loop on this conversation.

I heard from Dynavector US, and the Auditorium T1 (not T2) is the best A23 SUT for the XV1s.

Thank you all who helped me on this issue. 

@labpro

According to the dealer, it’s best to have a cartridge with a lower direct current resistance (DCR) than the SUT. The XV1s is 6 ohm and the T2 SUT is 15 ohm (the A23 T1 is 2 ohm). That being said, no harm in trying the T1. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sleight misunderstanding here - the 2 ohm refers to the target range of the internal resistance of the cartridge, which is not the load that the cartridge sees. The T1 was designed for the Ortofon SPU’s, which range from 2-7 ohms internal resistance. The T2 was designed for EMT ( 24 ohms internal resistance ) and Denon 103 ( 40 ohms internal resistance.). Your Dynavector is 6 ohms.

Unfortunately A23 does not publish specifications for their transformers so you cant really know for sure. Stereophile measured the T1 and estimates it has a turns ration of about 30 which means the cartridges see a load of around 52 ohms ( 47k divided by 30 squared ). T2 is unknown.

I checked the Dynavector transformer - SUP200 - this has 26db of gain, which is a turns ratio of around 20 - load presented to the cartridge assuming a 47k input word be around 118 ohms.

So you dealer may be right, in that the 52 ohms of the T1 is marginally low - but its not far off the minimum 60 ohms ( 10 x the 6 ohm internal resistance ).

My concern is that what does "voiced" mean.

This is the issue with SUT’s they can be very twitchy with cartridge matching.

If your dealer sold you the Dynavector - perhaps he could get hold of the Dynavector SUP200 to have a listen to as well as the T1. This should give you an opportunity to see what is going on.

With regard to the tracking weight in your OP the 2.6-2.8 grams tracking weight in the TAS review is bunkum. Stay with the manufacturers recommendations - Dynavector tests the cartridges individually and I have always found the recommended tracking force on the test sheet to be very close to ideal of not spot on.

I usually set the tracking weight at the upper end of the recommended range for run in, and then reset the tracking weight after run in ( usually a coupe of weeks ).

Same with VTA - always best to recheck after run in.

Remember when you change tracking weight, the VTA changes and needs to be rechecked.

Nontwithstanding that really the cartridge should be sounding good after a week in my view - yes it will open up more, but it should there 90% after a week of listening.

The XV1’s are fairly neutral - but I have heard them sound both lean and fullsome through the mids - it very much depends on tonearm and phono matching and set up.

Dover, I simply cannot thank you enough for this excellent explanation. Now you know why I studied Marketing and not Electrical Engineering. I think the world is a safer place that way. Thank you again.

On a side note, I plan to reinstall the XV1s and finish breaking it in, using the T1 then adjusting the VTF and VTA as recommended.