Where did you go after Harbeth?

Hi everyone,

The question above says it all. Where did you go after Harbeth? I'd like to know what you were looking to improve in the sound you had with Harbeth and which speaker allow you to do so.

Sébastien
128x128sebastienl
In my own experience, the ingredients to "the sound", meaning ultimate, lifelike reproduction consist of the following ingredients:

a 15 inch or larger woofer in a bass cabinet
a compression driver behind a decently large horn, crossed at around 500 Hz
a SET amplifier running the show

Sebastien1, if you happen to reside in the DC / Maryland area, I would be happy to have you listen to a proper horn setup with this configuration. It is "the sound".
I don't think an SET amp will properly drive your SHL5's. I found that my C7's liked power and sounded best with at least a solid 100 wpc amplifier. Though I never tried a SET or low power tube amp I have doubts about this pairing given my experience.
Hi Hornsystem,

I have some friends on a French forum specialized in tubes and high efficiency speakers (elektor.fr/forum) where many users also described this set-up to be the best.

On my side, I want to try SET and of this, I'm sure I'll need a high efficiency speaker.

Unfortunately, I live Montreal, Canada. So, I'm a little bit far away from D.C.

Regards,

Sébastien
For your information, Another Horn move up. I am moving from HL5S to Cessaro Chopin... Well, still waiting for it's arrivial and still keeping the HL5s.
I replaced my Harbeth SHL5s with Lahave Mela monitors, which are much more resolving but, like the Harbeths, have a natural non-fatiguing sound, but with a much more live, you-are-there quality, and just a lot more joy.
Much better than Joseph Pulsars (that I almost bought).