Religious music for less than devout

We have a thread " Jazz for someone who doesn’t like jazz. " In a similar vein perhaps "Religious music for the less than devout".

"people get ready" - Rod Stewart
"Amazing Grace" - Jessye Norman
2009 "Duets" - Five Blind Boys of Alabama, The - entire CD
1988 "Sweet Fellowship" - Acappella, the entire CD

In 1989 I was working in NJ, I may have been the only guy on the job who did not know he was working for the Irish Mafia. I would lend people the CD "Sweet Fellowship" and they were willing to pay for it but never return it:

"Here is $20 kid, go buy yourself another cuz youz can’t have mine back. Now don’t ever ask me again."

timothywright
@n800

My favorite Led Zeppelin song is In My Time of Dying
Indeed mine too. I have it in an early will to have it played at my funeral. Also a John Bonham protege, its one of my favorite songs of theirs to play. I remember Resurrection Band, later shortened to Rez. I have about 150 -200 christian rock albums from the ’80’s & ’90’s. As someone else has pointed out, the shake up happened in the 90’s and I lost interest. I used to go to the Creation Festival as well as Fishnet (now defunct) Great times there. better than church service...and I’ve been to a lot of good ones too. I also had a Christian Blues band for a short time. I was the vocalist.
An inversion of the question, it’s a wonderful track by Vienna Teng called “Hymn of Acxiom”. She sings it in a religious choral gospel style but it’s really a hymn about Google and ‘Big Brother’ surveillance. She won the thirteenth annual Independent Music Awards for best A Cappella song. It sounds like a choral group but it’s really her singing solo through a vocoder. You can find it on Tidal and several great covers are on Youtube with my favorite by the Parkway West Jazz Choir, real singers in that case, not a vocoder.
Paul Hillier conducts Arvo Part, choral and instrumental music (3 cd set on the Harmonia Mundi label).
Beautiful, simple, unique.