Can someone guide me as to what Single driver ??

I am interested in single driver speakers as I have owned 30 pairs of the major brands over the last 20 years, and have gone through upgrade fever over and over. I have been reading good things about SD with set amps which I own, I would only like to spend < 1500$ if posible ALso, can you add a top loading super tweeter to the binding posts to boost the highs?? recommedations? Seems to be a cult thing.
bbchem
Bdchem,

I've heard the Hammer Dynamics and I've heard my HempAcoustics speakers and I can tell you I favor my speakers. They are also a much easier build. You purchase the drivers from HempAcoustics and purchase the pre-built cabinet from Madisound. You would need to have someone cut the hole for mounting the driver, port and binding post cup and install them. Connect the internal speaker wires from binding post cup to drivers. That's it. Very easy project.

Take a look here:

http://www.hempacoustics.com/Review.pdf

Very simple build and the sonic results are fantastic. Since I use mine in a nearfield setup, I put them up on the high-mass stands from partsexpress in order to get the driver at ear height.

Enjoy,

TIC
Check out the Hornshoppe Horns. Ed is a great guy to deal with and he got me to take the leap. I've never looked back. Check out his 'why' section at his site: thehornshoppe.com.
Thanks, I would love to build the Hempcones, but I have n also noone to cut the cabinets, I quess the best way is to purchase them from Omega for example, but I cn't afford the high cost right now. It seems interesting though, and thanks
for the answers, the horn shoppe sound good and is more reasonable, but don't offer Hemp drivers yet I think.
I thought would get my two cents in. I have a pair of Omega Grande 6 have been driving them with all kinds of tube amps. I currently have them hooked up to a little pair of Dared vp 20 monoblocks. At around 15-20 watts, these make them sound the best yet. I also have a Titanic 10 inch sub and they integrate well with it. But the tweak that really put the life in the system is when I put the omegas on a pair of mapleshade speaker blocks. What a great tweak. They just opened up in soundstaging and tone.
Larry,

I placed the isolation footers from UltraFi under my HempAcoustics speakers and they made a tremendous difference. Imaging really snapped into focus and the minor boominess in the bass disappeared. Here's a link for anyone interested in trying a relatively inexpensive tweak that actually does something:

http://www.ultrafitimes.com/IsolationFooters/tabid/122/Default.aspx

Enjoy,

TIC

TIC