why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters

Showing 1 response by professor825

Do you really believe that the cables make little or no difference? Would you consider a Radio Shacke receiver and bookshelf speakers with their factory supplied cables able to match an all MBL system with Cardas Clears? The system is only as good as its weakest link. I do studio mastering. The difference in detail and accuracy between cheap cables and reasonably priced high end cables is not subtle. It's true that the improvements shrink as the prices rise but isn't that true in every field. Is a Porsche 911 really five times better than its cousin the VW Beatle? Is the Porsche 918 really 10 times better than the 911? Is the the Bugatti Veyron three times better than the 918? The answer is an emphatic "no" if all you could afford was the Beatle in the first place.

One should to match the qualities if ones system with the quality of the cables to be owed. If you don't you will only be strangling the reasons you bought the equipment in the first place.

Don't buy Audioquest Wild Blue XLR interconnects to connect a $500 preamp to a $600 power amp. Match it to something like the Red Rivers. That way your system will be balanced in terms or performance and sonic quality and you won't have to worry about the rest.