Upgrading Technics 1200 Tonearm under $1000

My analogue setup:
  • AT9 cartridge
  • Herron vtph-2a stage
  • Bryston 4b3 amp
  • Bryston Model T Sig speakers
  • Moon Neo 350P pre
  • Technics 1200mkII

I upgraded the Technics with the obligatory fluid dampening technology - a must for anyone listening at higher volumes. Wires are upgraded to the cardas all purchased from KAB! I also stripped the tired silver paint and painted the plinth a pearl white. The tonearm is the only piece left to update! I'm struggling with the amount of choices out there that is easy to set up. I looked at the Rega RB330 as a possible candidate but I'm open to other suggestions.
joyofsound
For that kind of money I do not think you will get a better, higher quality, or superior arm what is  it about the arm now that you do not like?
My idea is to keep the stock arm and concentrate on cartridge!
Or to sell this turntable and to buy SP-10 mkII with unlimited choice of tonearms (except for ’9 inch arms).

With SL1200 mkII your choice is very limited because of the pivot to spindle distance, forget about Rega tonearm. If you can find used Audiomods try this, but there are some nice vintage Japanese tonearms that you simply can’t use on SL1200 mkII.

Detachable headshell is amazing option! Stock arm is so easy to adjust quickly when you swap carts/shells. 

You should try some killer vintage MM on this arm, something like Grace LEVEL II and SAEC SS-300 mat on Technics platter.  
I've  moved from the vintage AT150 to the MC AT Art9. I hear more instruments clearly and proper separation. My age and hearing isn't what it was so that could be suspect. However, I do know what to expect from my vinyl music library. To be honest, the ART9 is quieter, perhaps forgiving on older vinyl. All in all, I'm happy with the current set up but I always thought there is some improvements to be made on this TT, in an effort to make the highs pop crystal clear. It already delivers a dynamic stage but there seems to be a very thin veil that needs to be peeled away. 
You you have no interest in different cartridges and willing to upgrade SL1200mk2 then extrrnal power supply is what you can do before upgrading the arm. Also Isonoe feet (available in silver or black).

Look for Jelco tonearm, it’s popular upgrade and armboards available. 
can also try a belt drive or idler with suitable tonearm. Or... change to a good MM like what Chakster suggest. 

both option will make the system much  more musical warm textured and liquid.

making it sound more detailed and accurate can sometimes work against. seeing your using bryston. 

audio technica with ceramic inserts or headshell is also very good. smoother and more musical. that is another  cheap and easy upgrade option.

easiest tonearm upgrade would be SL1200MK4 titanium arm

This is very rare old model from the 90s for domestic Japanese market, the price is insane and tonearm is not easy to find separately. The OP already rewired his tonearm, so the only difference between mk2 and mk4 is the armrube (aluminum vs. titanium).

I remember the price for new Jelco tonearm on ebay was just about $450-550 in 2019, I think it’s a good alternative to the stock arm even if the price was increased. This is a perfect match for Technics and better than Rega tonearm.
IMO you will have to spend more than $1000 to significantly upgrade that arm. I do see some people replacing the arm on the 1200G model.  Maybe they would give you a deal on the old arm?
@andysf

1200G turntable cost $3500 and prople who replace the arm looking for $5000 tonearms normally. The stock magnesium tonearm is great on 1200G.

But OP’s mk2 turntable cost $400 (in Japan they cost $150 used today) and he willing to buy a new tonearm under $1000
The Rega tonearm is not an upgrade. You would probably be better served to upgrade your cartridge or buy a turntable constructed to more easily accommodate different tonearms. 
The most impactful mod I've made to my SL-1200 MK2 was upgrading the feet. These are the ones I have, but there are other options - https://www.mnpctech.com/products/technics-sl-1200-sl-1210-turntable-isolation-feet-four

After that, using Zupreme headshells.  

I also put some fo.q tape on the tonearm and have the fluid damper and rca cable mod. The table came with the rca mod, so I can't speak to how much sonic difference that made, but it's nice to be able to use better cables than stock.  
New Technics MK7 is under $1000 and comes with a nice arm. Then buy some carts. 
@joyofsound - Audiomods - email jeff - he can make you a base for mounting his arms  on a 1200

They perform way above their modest price point
- Probably the last arm you will ever buy.

I have the older Series 3 classic with the micrometer VTA and the one piece harness with KLEI Harmony plugs - to my TT to a whole new level of performance - awesome

A friend had the Series 5 on his 1200 and he loved it

Regards

Thanks Willie. After reviewing Audiomods, I will be ordering the Series 6 for my TT. Appreciate the feedback!