TRL 595-how good is it?

I am a digital junky, so I have been thru well over a dozen players in the past 12 months. My favorite is the APL 3910. I just bought the TRL Sony 595 from the Tsunami auction, and will receive next week. Any one here have experience with this machine? I TT Paul from TRL and he said he is still shaking his head from disbelief on how good this puppy sounds. I am impatient, so would love some feedback. I also love the fact it is a 5 disc changer. Could it be a world beater? I have TT a person who sold his Cary 303/200 after burning this puppy in.

Ehquiring minds want to know

Thanks
711smilin

Showing 8 responses by aplhifi

Guys, it is real fun reading this thread. Thanks Mr. Smilin...:-)

Now, I am wondering, what would be a cost effective modification which is highly proprietary and sells for $550 (assuming the base machine cost is about $100)?

Looking at the Service Manual of the 595, it can be clearly seen that it does not cost even $50 for Sony to manufacture this little puppy.

I am sure that it sounds good for the money, or even better, but a little and as cheap as it can get player can only do so much. I am also sure that TRL has done a great job with possible power supply, clock and their tube output mod, but this is not changing the fact that we are talking about $50 machine to begin with.

Better than $20K machines, even more, better than Meitner? I’d think many times before making this kind of statement...:-)

Enjoy the music!

Regards,
Alex
Lkdog, it is true, for now. It's very sad that Pioneer discontinued the 563a model, but you can always do a little research and find what people have to say about the APL modded version of it. It was $695 total.

Regards,
Alex
Maxxfell, the 595 is the cheapest possible CD/SACD player as intended by its manufacturer – Sony Electronics. It incorporates All-in-one, cost effective Digital Signal Processor which has the Servo, CD and SACD processing built in. Although it is just one processor, it still has COMPETELY different signal paths for CD (PCM) and SACD (DSD) as well as separate output ports for both formats. Also, the DACs used in the 595 have dedicated PCM and DSD ports with separate processing for the formats.

Bottom line: As all other SACD/CD players, 595 require separate burn in with CD and SACD.

Mr. Smilin, it was a good decision to alternate between CD and SACD. Please let us know when the "miracle" happens and the 595 starts "singing" better than Meitner...:-)

Regards,
Alex
Lkdog and other proud TRL595 owners, I am sorry if my previous post offended you! I never "attacked" the TRL 595 and I am sure it is a great value at $700 (as I mentioned before). What I have said is the truth about this machine, and the intension was to clear up some misinformation making possible for non-technical people to understand better about 595. Again, sorry if this sounds like "attacking" to you!

Please be assured that I am not worrying at all about 595 being a competition for any of my products. This is regardless of who modded it and what was done to it.

My sarcastic comment about the "miracle" was due to the fact that one of you here said the TRL 595 is better than Meitner. If you had a bit of technical knowledge and extensive listening experience with EMM Labs (Meitner) products, you'd realize that it is impossible. If you don't have technical knowledge and extensive listening experience; it would be a good idea to A-B Meitner and TRL595 in a truly revealing audio system and hear for your self, then come back here and tell us about it.

Right, I have much better things to do. Otherwise, I’d get one of these 595 machines, gather Audiophiles, run A-B test with Meitner and let the people give you the feedback. I am sure that soon or later someone will do it and you will hear about it.

Best!

Alex
Lkdog, I am glad you're not offended at all!

I would see your point about my "marketing methods" if I had a current product that costs $700, or if this thread was about the $35K Zanden combo.

Enjoy the 595!

Alex

If you guys are interested, and to make it fair, I can build one Pioneer 563a machine and send it to all TRL owners who want to hear it, regardless of which TRL modded unit they have. The only expense will be the shipping cost to send the Pioneer to the next person on the list. It is very light, so I guess it will not cost much. Owners of other ALL SOLID STATE (no tubes) modded players are also welcome to participate. I will be ready with 563a to roll in about 1-2 weeks from now as I don’t have any readily available.

I guess 3 days will be enough time for evaluation so the policy will be to ship the Pioneer to the next guy on the list on the 4th day, given it is not weekend or holiday of course. Please email me your contact and shipping information if you are interested and I will put you on the list. First come, first serve. I guess this will be available for continental US addresses only. I trust your honesty 100 %.

Regards,

Alex
Guido, I will be honored to send the little Pioneer 563a to you so you can let us all know how your EAD gear trounced it....:-)

Let me know if you really are interested.

Your "dream machine" will be available soon.

Regards,
Lkdog,

I would agree it is all subjective and system dependant. It also depends on what revision the APL unit was when compared to TRL.

Anyway, you will be second on the list. I have TRL595 and Exemplar3910 owner who has secured #1 already...:-)

I will contact all on the list when the 563a is ready for shipping.

The little Pioneer gives a good idea of how the Denon sounds. You will just have to imagine a similar sound on steroids which has more natural and refined character due to the tube stage inside. If you end up liking the little 563a and continue to be interested hearing the Denon, I will try to arrange audition. I’ve promised a “rolling” APL3910 to many people, so I will include you on that list as well.

Regards,
Alex