Speakers to mate with Mac MC402 under $5k

I am in the process of wrapping up a renovation of space for dedicated HT/2 ch listenning. The room is 13.5' x 25'. We will be sitting facing the 13.5' wall.

Pieces of the 2 channel system I own and want to keep are a Naim CDX cd player and the MC402 amp. I have an order in for a Supratek Chardonnay to try out, but am open to other preamps also. Need to be tubed with HT bypass and a remote.

My current speakers are Dynaudio Audience 80's and home made Wilson CUB clones (Proteus) that I am looking to upgrade. I've had B&W 801s3's and 802N's in the past, but am not a big fan of the B&W sound.

Local dealers seem to only have B&W, Aerial, Dynaudio, Avalon, limited Revel, Dali, and Harbeth. Preference is for used to get the best value for my $$. The dealer who sells Mac has them paired with the Aerial 8b's and 9's, but I was not overly impressed.

Any help on what mates well with this amp is appreciated.

THX.
Frank
fpv

Showing 1 response by velo62

Might take some heat here but Ive never liked any mac preamps...always sound veiled to me and the C2200 was no exception. Ive owned the MC402 and tried the Supratek, Cary slp90,94, 98, a CJ 18ls, bat vk50se and an Audio Research LS25 mk1. The Ls25 was my preference, the Supratek Syrah sounded good but was a little too bloomy and always buzzed when my cell was about to recive a call ( Sure it was just a tube issue )... I prefered the black background, imaging and refinement of the Arc. Good luck