Speaker matching for Audiolab 6000A

Shopping for some monitors that match well with Audiolab 6000A integrated amp.  Recall reading somewhere this amp not the last word in grunt, and difficult to drive speakers should be avoided.  Deep bass not necessary as the speakers will likely be supplemented with a subwoofer.  Budget up to about a grand, but much less is great if the match is right.

Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing

Is this going into the room shown in your system page? Because you'll need to get your speaker placement sorted if you want it to sound right. I'm going to recommend Triangle Trios. Above your price point but will work with the low power Audiolab. 

Stretch the budget to pre-owned REFERENCE 3a De Capo i. The link shows a nice pair up for sale on AGON. ( and seller has a complimentary finish subwoofer also up for sale )

92 db efficiency = EZ. To drive them

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0111/reference_3a_mm_de_capo_i.htm

While De Capos are FAB, for a pittance you can get the new book shelfs from LSA

'a 23 pound, rear ported, real wood with leather top and front. It features superb drivers and crossovers MSRP $599' + stands

hth

Thanks for all the suggestions, helpful.

These are not to setup with the rig on my system page. This is for a family member who has their system in a smallish sunroom that is partially open to their living room. They currently use this system for careful listening to lp’s and streaming in the small room and background listening in the adjacent larger living room.

Looking for medium sized monitors with 5.25 - 6.5” bass/mid driver. Sub will round the bottom out. I should also note the small listening room is “bright”, and the Audiolab is “honest”, so a warmer speaker is in order. Current speakers in the system are old Wharedale Diamond 8.1s which are pleasant and have never sounded better than they do with the 6000A, but have a pretty limited performance envelope.

Thanks @akg_ca  for the Wharfedale recommendation.  These are interesting possible choice.  A bit over budget - any insight into the EVO 4.1 as an alternative?

A bit out of your budget, but if you can stretch it, I can attest to the fact that the ProAc Tab 10 are an excellent match with the Audiolab 6000A. Especially for near-field listening. Incredible mids/highs without any crispy edges.

@akg_ca got it, no to EVO 4.1

@hoytis ProAc huh.  Nice speakers.  Not my money.  Worth making the suggestion.

From what I've read about the amp it is excellent for the $ but can be lacking a bit in body more neutral side. It might mate well with something a bit mellow like a Warfdale. Maybe a Lyntons. Also from personal experience, CSS Criton 1D is an excellent speaker of that type if you want to make a pair from a kit. One more choice foe a speaker that is laid back consider a Dynaudio Evoke 10 or 20. Maybe rustle up a used pair. I'v owned the last two so it's personal experience.

Try heading over to Youtube and search out reviews of the Audiolab 6000A. There are some that tried them with different speakers, which would help narrow down your search. Some that come to mind are Andrew Robinson, Zero Fidelity, British Audiophile, to name a few.

All the best,
Nonoise

@fredcdobbs yes looking at Dynaudio Evokes. Thanks.

@Nonoise - thanks, on it. I don’t know if YouTube reviewer Terry Ellis is a shill for IMG products in general but he really liked the 6000A and actually bought the EVO 4.2’s recommended above.