Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd

Showing 5 responses by tgyeti

My comments were for red book only. I own one SACD disk, lol.

..... and I payed $1109 shipped. :-p
I bought a Sony XA5400es and I'm very pleased. Granted, you don't get the "cool factor" of owning a boutique or lesser known brand but mine bests these players (all of which I've owned) in my system:

Accuphase DP-57
Meridian 508..24
Linn Ikemi
Resolution Audio Opus 21
Electrocompanient EMP-1UP
Musical Fidelity A5
Ayre CX-7e

My System:
Gamut PreAmp
Spendor S9 speakers
TAD-70 Amp

The last 3 posts are comparing apples and oranges. The EMM is a $10k set up, while the Sony is 1/10 that cost. Most of us in the real world can't spend the value of a used car on a CDP.
Chayro - I don't believe the title of the thread, I know the Sony probably doesn't sound as good as a 10k player. That's not MY point. I just find your conversation silly.
My Rolls is better than your Kia! Well, no kidding ..lol.

*as an aside .... didn't a first generation Ipod beat a 10k - 20k CDP in a BLIND test before a large audience*
Kudos to you Prsmccarty if you garner that much pleasure out of micromanaging your system the way you do. I know you're not alone here, but it strikes me as a bit obssesive compulsive, IMO

Perhaps the Clever Little Clock may help (Google it for a laugh) ... or that little jar of pebbles for $795 (again, a real product ....lol)