Revel Salon2s: Seeking Advice

All,

There's a closeout on new Revel Salon2s locally and it's a speaker that's always intrigued me and been widely praised for characteristics I like in a speaker (detail, neutrality, punches above its weight, good midrange and bottom end). My concern is if it would be a lateral move based on my current speakers so I wanted to ask your opinions.

Current setup: Focal Kanta 3s, Parasound JC5, Pass Labs xp22, Denafrips T+, Lumin U1 + X1 PSU, great cabling, dedicated 20amp circuits, etc.

Any thoughts on if I should look into the Revels further versus what I currently have? Tangentially I have also considered trying tube pres but consider speakers as the foundation of the system and don't want to pass up this up unnecessarily. TIA!

christianb5s4

Showing 1 response by deep_333

Different opinions/experiences exist...

Revel speakers are a bit dry, analytical, etc, but measure great, I e, designed by guys who understand engineering, but, don't have a good ear for music (unfortunately).

If you told the Revel engineer, "Dude, your speaker doesn't sound a whole lot like my instrument and is getting a lil boring".... He might say, " it's all you...it's you and your instrument's fault. My box measures great and i don't need to know anything else. If my box measures great, i am great".

Revel speakers are fairly priced for the work that went into it, however. If it ends up being your sound after you hear other things, consider it a fair deal even at full price. The Revel guys are not in the habit of robbing you like certain others.

Speakers with a different ethos applied in a similar price bracket or lower.

Levinson/DHertz Amber

Yamaha NS-5000 

Borresen X3 

Wharfedale Elysian

Tad E1Tx

Some of Vivid's stuff, etc

etc

There are more exquisite offerings as you go up in price as well.

Listen to a lot of speakers before you decide on what really appeals to you. Also, listen to an eclectic mix of tracks from different genres.