Replacement Motor for a Vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable

My son owns a vintage Thorens TD 160 Turntable.  The platter is slipping on start-up an on play.  My son has isolated the problem to the motor.  Any suggestions on where to source a replacement motor?? Thanks
bifwynne

Showing 5 responses by dekay

It would help if your son could post the symptoms (in detail) and what he has checked so far here.

Having owned every version of the 160 except the Super "motor slipping" doesn't ring a bell.

Has he checked the larger capacitor?

To answer your OP there are motors currently available on eBay in the $250-$300 range (supposedly NOS, but no guarantee).

DeKay
Just figured out that the large cap in mine was probably labeled in MF terms and 330MF would be .33UF (as that which came up in my search).

My recollection of 30-40 was most likely (in reality) 300-400.

oldhvymec:

The brief description of "slipping" by the OP, via his son, does describe the problem I experienced years ago in that the platter hesitated and just did not seem to want to go/turn.

As I understand it you are suggesting that the belt spindle wheel may be loose from the spindle, which would be easy to check as the deck can be operated without the main/outer platter.

DeKay
I had  a 160 that either would not start and/or it would start in reverse direction.

I was told it was one of the caps by a friend, but I simply gave the platter as spin in the right direction when powering it on and used it that way for 3-4 years without a problem.

I don't recall which cap it was only that one was tiny like .1 or .047 and the other one was in the 30-50 range.

To this day (I sold that particular 160 in 1986) I still have a habit of giving the platter a little nudge, even though it's not needed.

Currently have a TD125II.

DeKay