Quad 989 repair - California

Does anyone know if I can have my quad 989 repaired in California, Nevada or Arizona?

I had a pair of Quad 989s shipped from England to Palm Springs a couple of months ago. One of the 989s was fizzing and ticking on arrival.

Insurance has refused to pay out on a nice little get out clause (we won't pay for internal damage unless external damage is also evident). This means shipping the speaker to QSandD is NOT an option (they want $750 for shipping alone, not including repair). I could I'm sure find cheaper shipping options but the possibility of more shipping damage concerns me. So I'm looking for somewhere within driving distance of Palm Springs I can take the 989.

I spoke to True Sound in Northern California and they told me to sell the 989s as they are. Is finding someone to repair my 989 really going to be that difficult? If so then True Sound are probably correct, they aren't worth keeping.
growly

Showing 3 responses by acbc

Hi, you'll be hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker at any price under $15K. I know there are those that say they're shy on base, I don't find that to be true.

Before you bail, contact the repair shops bellow and see if they can help you. Often, they have deals with freight companies that could make the shipping more acceptable.

At the very bottom I included the contact info for the US rep for Quad. From what I understand they also do repairs- that might be a good source for support.

Good luck.

Note: I swapped out the standard power cords with Pangea AC-9's (shielded and low cost)and that did improve base response considerably.

www.qsandd.com/hifi_repair.htm

www.oocities.org/[email protected]/

TAIGA LLC
310 Tosca Drive Stoughton, MA 02072
Mr.Jeff.Sigmund
781-341-1234 ext. 22
[email protected]
Any progress?

If you haven't already you might want to also try.

http://quadsunlimited.us/#/contact-us/4534267357

Check out their website. They do much more than repairs.
http://quadsunlimited.us/#

Good luck I hope this gets resolved quickly and as inexpensively as possible.
Hi, sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Quad/IAG should do better job supporting their brand. Every time someone has a bad experience its a lost future sale. I love my 989's, but in the back of my head I worry about what you just went through. One could only image what could be if they actually made these things easy to own. As you travel to the UK on a regular basis you might want to pop by their offices and "let them have an ear full!" one day. I appreciate your frustration and your determination to move on, but you never know you may come across a set of ESL's in future that are in good shape - best of luck.