Preamp 47K load. Cartridge needs 330 ohm

Experts!!!

Preamp is Conrad Johnson PV7.  Recently refurbished by Music Technology.

Cartridge is Miyabi Cello Chorale 0.35 mV and needs 330 ohm load.

How do I solve.  Preamp load not adjustable.  Any interface box like Puffin?

Or maybe a Andover SPINSTAGE PHONO PRE-AMP

Or a Lundahl or similar transformer?   I am not sure.

Thank you.

dcaudio

Showing 3 responses by lewm

I just wouldn’t perpetuate the myth that the OP needs precisely a 330 ohm load for his cartridge. If he goes away believing that then he won’t have learned anything.The Cello Miyabe is an MC cartridge with an internal resistance of 2.5 or 3 ohms, based on two different sources. (To the OP) Generally you want the input impedance of the phono stage to be about 10X the internal R of the cartridge. Therefore technically you could load your cartridge with any impedance greater than 30 ohms, on up to even 47K ohms. You could even go below 30 ohms load, but then you begin to sacrifice cartridge output. Many say they hear differences in tonal balance exquisitely related to input impedance with LOMC cartridges, but actual measurements usually don’t support this belief.

Where is the OP going to find a SUT with a 1:12 step up ratio? If such a one exists off the shelf, it might be unique. Whereas there’s a plethora of choices among 1:10 SUTs.

A 1:10 SUT is perfect for your needs. And no cartridge has an absolute requirement for a single particular load resistance. A 1:10 SUT will result in a 470 ohm load and that is just fine for your cartridge. See above for other viable solutions.