New Krell s550i Impressions?

Looking for information on this new Integrated. Performance, quality, concerns? Thank you in advance.
zenieth

Showing 6 responses by audioman58

The Krell 550 I was designed from the ground up in Ct and there proto types my friend works as a tech there,he said once everything passes their testing then they source quality parts throughout the world ,the majority
Are not from China.the fabrication and assembly is. All machinery is mainly German machining centers .qc is very tightly controlled. The 55I
Is far superior the old 300Iin everyway . You even need a 20 amp service
And outlet tons of current ,as stated the preamp section has technologies from their
Flagship preamplifier. Compared to my Hegel 200 integrated amplifier it has much more power ,control and inner detail . I think it is in some ways better the the a Hegel 300. As far as a Bass slam ,power ,and dynamics,the Hegel is a bit smoother.but this is very musical ,get a warmer dac and good cables.for a great match a true bargain at $5k. I will be buying one for Xmas,hopefully !
My Hegel 200 is a excellent integrated .i just want the extra power for my large new room.
I just received my a Krell 550 4 days now just letting it play it has about 100 hours on t ,will need roughy 3 weeks or 350hours to fully runin
So far it is just starting to open up. The sonics so far are Very open and
Dynamic not cold at all great tight Bass and tons of headroom.
Build quality is very high at . 65 lbs very substantial 275wpc
At 8 ohms is actually 330 wpc In to 8 ohms anyone who thinks it is no good because it is partially made in China is foolish.this integrated is better then any out there I have heard under $8k as a reference point.
Look at alll that buy Vincent,or Prima Luna ,or even the vk design
Modded integrated all china ,and this is still much better.i just sold the
Hegel200, and my friend has the 300 and he very surprised considering it is still new.one thing though buy a good power cord,20 amp iec
I Am using a hi diamond hd-3 very good power cord.
Hello I have my 550 running on a dedicated 20 amp line,it has a 20 amp iec on back. But still should be able to operate on 15 amps,on their site it does say under specs 20 amps peak to peak..I would for sure call Krell and ask for Service
And repair. I put a big hd-4 HiDiamond power cord,nice improvement,
And one thing that for sure that improves this unit,
I replaced the -2 speaker fuses on back I purchased 2- Synergistiic research32mm Long 12.5 amp fast blow fuses.i asked the tech at a Krell
Excellent,better detail which is already very good,better separation of instruments,and a more expansive soundstage,for $138 well worth the investment. Do call Krell you may have a faulty unit.
I read 2 reviews,not one overheated Hifi news used syntillas
Which can go down to 1 ohm,actual power is
330wpc into 8 ohms 600 into 4. There is a new review coming out
In secrets of Home theatre and audio, and possibly one more.
The volume goes up to 150 on the dial.i have my unit on a open shelf
Playing 24-7 for 5 days now ,and at Xover 102 on the display
Never a heat issue. For sure call Krell the 10 T is around .87 db I owned them back around early 90s. Should not present so problem, what are ypur speaker cables ? Check all the connections if they are loose for sure can create the overheating issue,check that first, are you on a dedicated line?
Call a Krell for sure if the connections are tight ,for that or if you are using the line with other appliances.let us know .
I can say with confidence with my HiDiamond HD-4 powercord,
And synergistic fuses this integrated is better then my brothers Pass 150
More detail power and control then Modwright, or Coda. IMO
You need to spend over $10k to better this unit.i have been using this with my YG Carmel speakers, as well as my Revel Perfoma 208 loudspeakers
Even at low volume excellent detail.
This integrated also has a verygood preamplifier section.
I would like to add what a Krell recommended a dedicated 20 amp line
Which I have as well as a dedicated 15 amp line for my digital with a 20 amp brick wall line filter ,and a 15 amp unit I owned and worked in a Hiend
Audio for well over 30 years. This is a great valued integrated amp!!
There is no such thing as too much power .
It is a known fact that dynamic transients in music can exceed 10 x
The rated power in milliseconds. This s why by having the extra power the extra headroom is a Big plus.
The amplifier is coasting and not having to go into distortions. I run Maggi
3.6, as well as big Revel speakers with the 550 with no problems whatsoever. in a
16x22ft room .the volume on this is a very high precision ladder type
That goes up to 150 for a lot of flexibility.