NAD C-388 w/BluOS2i WiFi Connectivity

I have a NAD C-388 w/BluOS2i (and HDM-2) MDC cards. It has worked very well for several years.
Later, I purchased a Node2i. They are both in my 2-ch music listening/concert watching system. Typically use PC, tablet, or Note phone to control the C-388 using BluOS app to stream AmazonPrimeMusicHD.

Between C-388 and Node2i, I prefer to use the C-388 because it is more direct connection, since the Node2i is connected to Coax1 input of the C-388. However, the C-388 seems to drop the WiFi connection after 5-10 minutes of play. My solution has been to switch to the Node2i - which has always been rock-solid connection.

Investigating this issue, I've found that the Node2i is always connected on 5GHz (never fails), while the C-388 is always connected on 2.5GHz. Home network is all Asus mesh, with AC3100 (master) and three AC1900 (nodes) spread throughout the house and to cover an acre of property (for IEM noise-blocking + tunes while mowing).

Question is about the C-388 WiFi being 'stuck' in 2.5GHz. Seems I need to move it to the more robust 5GHz.

Anyone know if this is possible and how to do that? Is it a C-388 setting or BluOS2i setting? 
128x128mwatsme

Showing 1 response by e54

Registered an account here just because this thread solved months' worth of frustration. I have the 2i MDC in my C368 primarily for streaming music, and it's been a nightmare getting it to stay linked to my network and to Spotify Connect. NAD's support just reiterates the same "reboot it" then "it's Spotify's fault" every time I've sent in error logs. 

If you're reading this in the future and the Wi-Fi is giving you grief, find any way to get an ethernet cable in your 2i MDC possible. I took an old router and set up a wireless ethernet bridge in 5 minutes, and now it works flawlessly. Most modern WiFi networks are centered around 5GHz, and even when I'd force my phone to get on the same 2.4GHz channel as the 2i's WiFi dongle, I'd would still experience frequent disconnects and drops, or sync issues between what Spotify was supposed to be playing vs. what the MDC was playing. 

I'm not thrilled this $500 product has such a cheap WiFi dongle that doesn't support 5GHz, but after hours of troubleshooting, configuring router settings, and turning receivers and routers off and on dozens of times, save yourself the headache and get a WiFi ethernet bridge if you can't hardwire it directly.