Mcintosh MC352 / 2102

Hi,

I have a Mcintosh MC352 hooked up to BW 803n speakers (peamp is Levinson 380s), and while the sound is very clear and pure, I think it is lacking overtones (maybe even order harmonics?), and generally, the feeling of the recording hall is not there.

My question is, if I switch to a Mcintosh MC2102, will the sound be truer? Does anyone have experience with both amps? Or will the difference be minimal? If there is a difference, does the MC2102 have enough steam for a normal-sized room (12x15)?

Thanks for any suggestions,

hgabert
hgabert

Showing 3 responses by ljgj

I own both of these amps. The 352 is clear, pure and can bring it out in an in your face style. The 2102 is warmer and slightly more natural in a lot of ways. It is non-fatguing in style but cannot bring the slam as good as the 352. A 12x15 room will not give the 2102 any problems and it mates well with the 803 for most music styles.
The 380S is a great preamp. I use the Mcintosh C2200 tube preamp with my 352 to give it a more natural presentation. If you go to the 2102 the 380S will probably give you that same effect as the reverse tube/SS combo C2200/352. Very similar results in the end. I used a 38S with the 2102 but now use a Mcintosh C42 in that system.
I have tried both and find the Balanced LAT International to be quite musical and a bit better than the single ended version. I have a Chord DAC 64 fed from an Electrocompaniet ECM used as a transport.