McIntosh C-2200 or C-46 with MC-402???

Okay, a question for McIntosh users (or those familiar with the gear) out there -- need some advice and input!

You're setting up an MC-402 in your system and feeling awfully good about life. Now, you decide to chuck your other (very nice) preamps and put together a matching set. Why not, right?

The obvious choices are the 2200 tubed preamp and the 46 solid state preamp.

I've heard all these pieces, but have not been able to audition them as above (switching preamps, that is).

I generally like the "euphonic" quality of tubes, but always notice the trade-off in fine detail when you move back to solid state. Apples, oranges. I'm wondering if the 2200 is one of those rare pieces that gives you tube joy without the losses? How about matching up to the amp? Big money, big decision, so I'd appreciate your answers!
highdudgeon

Showing 1 response by valleyplastic

Ok, I guess it comes down to what do you like to hear? I don't mean in music but the overall sound that is produced between the amp and the Pre.

I have owned all three and have had them in my system.
The only remaining unit is the 402. When I had the C2200 it was with the 352. This was 2 years ago so I am going by memory. I had no real issues at the time as I do recall being overall satisfied with what I was hearing. I felt the drive of the solid state amp along with the tube pre would produce a warmer almost laid back sound. Which it did.

Little did I know what I was missing: I had made changes after that set up but we will skip to just this last month of "AUDIO TURMOIL" and how I screwed up.
I might get some flack from some Mac die hards but I have owned my share of Mac over the last 35 years so I feel I can share my experience of "Defeat" with you.

Last month I bought a 402 & the C-46. From there my system went to hell in a hand basket. I don't have all the answers and I don't pretend to know it all. I do no for a fact that my system sounded as if a blanket had been placed over the speakers. I had lost some detail, clairity & resolution was a thing off the past.
At this point depression set in: I changed power cords, Interconnects, added tweaks which I knew would not help but in desperation we try it all.
A very good audiophile friend of mine told me it has to be the C46, get it out of the system and try something else in it's place. So be it, another local audiophile friend brought over 2 pre amps. One was a 250.00 Passive unit. We put that in place and the blanket was gone.
We then put his First Sound Presence pre in the system and I got back 90 percent of what I lost with the C46.
The C46 for me was just not going to cut it. My friend left his First Sound for me to use until I could find a replacement.
My other friend that first told me that my problem was the C46 convinced me to try the Audio Researdh LS25 MKl.
He had heard this a couple times in a system and knew what he was talking about.
This did not take long: I found and purchased the AR as he mentioned and I mean to tell you it is one of the most detailed pre amps you will ever own.
I now have deeper tighter bass, mids and highs to die for and higher resolution then I have ever had.

I guess the bottom line for me would be that if I were in your position I would match the C2200 with the 402.
You have the hard drive of the solid state with the warmth of tubes in the pre. This is a great match.

However, you want more of everything and have it done right, check out the AR Pre you will not be sorry my friend.

If you care to discuss any part of this via phone send me a e-mail and I would be more then happy to call you.

That was my 2 cents worth, maybe even more,
Dave