Marantz - SA-15S2B or Yamaha CD-S2000 or iPod

Hi All,
The rest of the system: Vandersteen 2Ce Sig2, (don't laugh, it is an excellent piece) JVC A-X55 integrated amp from your student years and a Denon tuner.

Room is about 400 sq feet. Classical music, e.g. Bach's partitas by Mullova or WTK by S. Richter - so clarity/serenity is appreciated. Classy jazz on a rare occasion is enjoyed too.
I can get Yam for $1500 new, there is an open box Marantz for about the same price.. And a friend promised to loan his CD8004 as a reference point for comparison, tells me this is all I need. I am more into music, so if the CD8004 is 'enough', I will settle on that and save some money. That is why I ask the collective wisdom before I start 'buying' and returning stuff.

Sometimes I think that an iPod may be able to deliver the same at a lower cost. Correct me, if necessary.

Thank you,
George
apdxyk

Showing 1 response by larrybigbird26

I have to agree with nonoise,the marantz 15S2B is one heck of machine and i owned the Marantz SA-8004 for about a year and 15S2B is a keeper for me also. Marantz signature sound for sure and is a little more detailed sounding then the 8004. I also spin mostly stereo cds and have a couple of SACDS. Have had my 15s2b since May of this year. You wont go wrong with this cd player,I highly recommend this player,check it out.