Magnepan, How Low Can You Go...power-wise

Hi Guys,

I have used a pair of Maggie 1.6s with a little Naim Nait5i (50wpc) and they sounded ok. I hear a lot of people saying you really need 250wpc to make them sing. I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Maggie 3.6s very cheap in another country where I spend some months each year. I was hoping my Simaudio i7 at 150wpc would be enough power for these. Magnepan won't answer this question firmly - what do you think ?
thomastrouble

Showing 2 responses by tef8568

Yes, the Simaudio 150wpc amplifier will drive them well and easily even being a nominal 4 Ohm load of impedance. Maggies have very low voltage sensitivity, somewhere around 85dB or so based on the model, so they require high wattage or at least current capability to produce moderate to high volume playback. A high current power amplifier will do better with them in general regardless of the brand or model. They also tend to respond better to solid state (like the Simaudio) than tubes depending on the brand and model of course. The Parasound A21 power amplifier at 250WPC RMS at 8 Ohms and 400 or so at 4 Ohms will not let you down with them at all. I know ... I have heard that combo many times at dealers and homes and it is effortless and beautiful sounding. Power with Maggies does what power to Usher Be-718's does ... brings them out and makes them live and sing like they can and should be able to. Don't make the mistake of skimping on the power and sheer kahunas under the hood with your maggies. For goodness sake, don't put a receiver on them of any kind; especially an A/V one. I heard that set up several times and it awful and constrained and lifeless at best.
I have never owned them, but have sold them here in PA. Maggies need, or at least do so much better, with much high quality power on tap.