Luxman L-509Z Integrated Amplifier

Hi, 

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a Luxman L-509Z US version directly in Japan ? 

I'm asking because in US this amp costs 12,500 USD. In Japan it costs 7200. 

So I'm thinking of just buying directly in Japan if they are able to sell me the US versions. 

Thanks!

ajones82

I just examined the inside of a 507ux.  The transformer was not multi-voltage, so I doubt you'll have a good chance of purchasing a US version in Japan.  Seems like they went out of their way to ensure they could keep the product lines separated.

Get a step down transformer.  Aside from wasting a bit of electricity it won't impact the sound quality. If anything it may actually help smooth current to the amp and add a layer of protection against an electrical surge. 

It's crazy right ? :) That's what I think too. I mean I understand some markup but not almost double, that seems like a ripoff :) 

@perkadin thanks for your response. Interesting as the dealers on ebay offered to include the step down transformer. But according to Paul McGowan of PS Audio he says that the transformer needs to be good quality and at 10x of the required power (which is pretty impossible to do). 

Do you have any suggestions on quality transformer brands ? 

Paul probably means 10x continuous power, not peak power.  The 507z draws 86 watts at idle so using Paul’s math that would be about 860 watts for the transformer.  Another recommendation I’ve also heard that you want at least 2x peak draw, so in that case the 507 has a peak consumption of 350 watts which means you’d need at least 700 watts for your converter. I don’t have any brand recommendations but power converters are not complicated devices, and everything is made in China anyway so I’d probably get a generic model off Amazon with 1000 watt+ rating just to ensure additional margin of error for exaggerated ratings.  You can find them for less then $150 with your choice of Toroidal or El designs.  

Post removed 

Oops I just realized you meant the 509 not the 507.  The 509 draws 130 continuous and 370 peak. If you want to use Paul’s guidelines that’s 1300 watts.  Still easy to find under $150

I thought about purchasing an Accuphase amp from

japan. But not having a warranty on a new product made me feel uneasy. Also, you will need to pay import taxes, which is another thing to consider. 

bluorion, I got my Accuphase at half price new from japan. Shipped with120volts. The way this amp is built, I was not concerned about any warranty. The new amp was even shipped in quadruple boxes, 

I ordered one 509z from Japan. Coming next week. 8k with taxes etc. let see how it goes. Just bit the bullet. 

Nice @saurabhgarg ! Were you able to get it with US voltage or are you going the step down transformer?

AJD25 1400w. It is expensive but heard very reliable. I have been testing it for 3 days now, the power output is 100.4V. I will hook up luxman today. 

If you order from Japan, they will likely ship FedEx. Do call them ahead of time and fill out the CF form for importer compliance, otherwise package will not go through customs. They will send DocuSign form. 

@saurabhgarg Hi, how is the transformer holding up so far ? Is it making any noise ? How do you like the 509Z ? I think I'm very close to buying one. Thanks.

Its presence is so transparent that I have forgotten about it. I keep it on all the time and it gets luke warm. No noise. 

I have a voltage measurement device, and when I was setting up I used it to check the voltage from transformer vs wall socket(s) . Reading was within 0.2v. 

So overall no issues..