Luxman L-509X as a preamp

I have an Ayre VX-5 that I really enjoy. I am considering an Ayre KX-5 preamp to pair with it. I currently use a Rogue RH-5 and it sounds great. But I am thinking the KX-5 will have more synergy. I also have been kicking around the idea of having an integrated amp and like everything I see and hear about the Luxman L509X. I thought of picking one up and using it as a preamp for the VX-5. Has anyone else used this integrated as a pre? If so, what are your thoughts?

128x128re-lar-kvothe

Awesome idea.  The preamp section is exceptional and a very interesting match with Ayre

I find the Ayre sound more natural and relaxed than the Luxman. Also, to get the best possible sound you want to invest in the best possible components. So, acquiring an integrated and only using the preamp would, in my way of thinking be a real waste. Preamps are really important… and with the price range you are in I would look at a dedicated preamp… or even better yet used from Audio Research, Pass, Ayre, Conrad Johnson or Presto.

It seems like a waste to buy an integrated and use it as a preamp? Also for the OP Patrick Rothfuss is dead to me! 😡

since you do not already own the Luxman integrated what possible advantages could it have compared to a standalone preamp?  

the idea of manufacturer to manufacturer synergy is not necessarily going to give you the best sound for the dollar.  

I recommend an upgrade to the Rogue RH5 (which I owned, it was a highly dynamic neutral sound that was missing the tube refinement and sound stage).  

Try the Cary Audio SLP 98 or SLP-05, or the Rogue RP-5 which sounds spectacular.  

No, to my ears the 509X is definitely not as good as a ~$6000 used dedicated line stage.  I used it from time to time to drive my Luxman M800a power amp.  It sounded pretty good and quite neutral, but was outclassed by my PS BHK and Allnic L3000 preamps.

If you're buying it for dual purpose--to have 2 amps you can switch between--it's a fine choice with lots of flexibility.

@eugene81 

Dual purpose use was my intention but decided to go with an Ayre KX-5 Twenty as my pre. 

I just tried my 509x with a musical fidelity 308cr power and wow. The extra power gives the sound much more authority. Is this setup a waste? Not really as I’ve got a sound I enjoy and flexibility. 

Hey all, 509x owner here who was/is recently pondering separates.  Considered keeping this as the pre and while it seems wasteful, it might make sense.  If i'm not mistaken the Luxman C900 preamp doesn't include a phono pre which would be one benefit.  

@sdavada What speaker are you driving with the combo? What happens to the meters when 509x is just a pre?  

Thanks, 

EW

@mtbiker29

The meters are associated with the amp, not the pre, so they stay at zero.  They lights are controlled separately. You can test this out by hitting SEPARATE while listening to music.  The pre is still working, which you can listen to via the pre outs. 

Thanks @erik_squires that was my guess but just wanted to confirm. It would feel weird just seeing them sit dormant. Also, my one very nit picky thing about this amp is it’s hard to see the volume level from your seat. The LED on the C900 would help this, but man that’s a lot of $ to lose the phono pre at the same time.

Curious if my impression if moved to C900/M900U, for example, on my Magico S3’s would be the same as @sdavada.

@mtbiker29 I have PMC twenty5.22, PMC Twenty5.26i and ATC SCM50's (coming soon) that I use the Luxman for but now as a Pre only as i doesn't have the weight I'd like to power the speakers.  I love the sound and also appreciate having a phono preamp.  I'm using a Musical Fidelity A308CR as my power amp. 

The meters work when the separate button is not activated, the pre outs at the back always work regardless of using the separate button. 

I did look at the C/M900 setup but at the time cannot justify the spend over the setup I have working well for now.  I may need to rethink this when my ATC's arrive as they may need some more power. 

@erik_squires 

I ended up selling the Ayre gear (outstanding stuff by the way) and buying a new Luxman L-509Z in September 2023. I paired it with an Aurender A20 streamer/DAC. I also run a Thorens TD-1601 TT with an Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge. The MC specs of the 509Z are almost a perfect match for the Cadenza. I used Harbeth SHL5 30th anniversary speakers with it and they sounded quite nice. I sold them too as someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I tried a pair of Wharfdale Linton Heritages which sound nice. I swapped those out (and are for sale) for my old Klipsch Chorus lls. Sounds very nice. But I am looking for some monitors to go with the 509Z. I talked with Fritz yesterday. I am going to give a set of his design a go for now. I will keep the Chorus lls to use with my tube amps. Truth be told, I have never been happier with my set up. 

OP:  Fritz and I talk about Luxmans with his speakers often.  I think they'll be a marvelous fit.

OP: 

by the way, curious what you liked more about the Luxman, since Ayre is often a brand I think about getting also.  What did you hear?

@erik_squires 

To be honest, there was nothing I didn't like about the Ayre pre/amp pairing. The sound was amazing. Likely the best set up I ever owned. However, I was looking for an integrated. I had a Boulder 866 which was very good but there were a couple idiosyncrasies I did not appreciate. No phonostage was one. The other was the DAC left a lot to be desired. That was a big issue for me. So, I traded it for the 509Z, even up. I paid $8K for the 866 so that translated to a good deal for the 509Z. The bonus was the 509Z combined with the A20 sounds better than the Boulder. I did not have the A20 with the Ayres so I cannot comment on that. I assume they would play nice together. IMHO, to my ears there is not a lot of difference between the Ayres and Luxman. If you can find a used VX-5 Twenty and a KX-5 Twenty for a decent price that would be a great way to go. Or new if you can swing it would be best.

One last thing, I did get a chance to hear the Ayre EX-8 2.0 and it too is an outstanding piece of gear. If you ever go integrated, it should be on your short list.

OP:

I have the Luxman 507ux already, and i love it, but Ayre is also a sound I have liked in the pas and sometimes think about.  I do think they are both smooth, extended and warm, but with Ayre I hear what seems a darker sound, like it takes noise out of the room and lets you hear more of the venue.  Maybe I'm nuts but that's what I hear and like about it.

Best,

E