LKS 004 or monarchyM24 dac?

I am currently using an idsd dac via usb playing ripped files from my computer and am due for an upgrade. After having conversations with two techs, I narrowed I down to 2: The LKS which was recommended by Ric Schultz, or a used Monarchy Audio M24, which was recommended by Stephen Sank.  Both modify these units.  Any thoughts regarding the sonic differences between the 2 would be appreciated.  
majorc

Showing 1 response by cleopatra52

I have used a Monarchy M24 in my system for close to a decade and love it. Recently, I replaced the WIMA coupling caps with some Mundorf Gold/Silver/Oil and this was a worthwhile upgrade. Tube rolling is also worthwhile but you don't have to spend much money to get great performance (my current favorite is the JJ Gold Pin).

As I'm sure you know, the Monarchy is a ladder DAC based on the Burr Brown PCM63 chip which is considered by many to be the best chip of its type ever produced. The LKS uses the ESS9038 chip and is a delta-sigma DAC. Some, like myself, prefer the sound of ladder DACs and others prefer delta sigma. I am biased, of course, but my choice would definitely be the Monarchy. 

One thing to note about the Monarchy is that it will not play anything higher than 20/96. If you must have higher resolution or DSD, pick the LKS.