Krell KSA 300S or FPB 300?

Hello all on a-gon,

I'm looking to get into some Krell amplification. Right now I'm considering the 2 amps above. I would like to get some of your expert opinions as to which ya'll prefer and which you would recommend. I would also like to hear why you prefer & recommend your choices.

I'll provide some of our associated equipment without getting overly detailed...

Amplifiers: Musical Fidelity KW500 (Selling) & Legacy-Audio Monoblocs
Speakers: Infinity Prelude MTS' & Legacy-Audio Focus
Digital: Esoteric DV-60 & Marantz BD8002
Analog: TNT IV with mucho upgrades
Phono: X-Ono
Preamp: Legacy-Audio NexStep. Preamp replacing the NexStep: Krell Audio/Video Standard from a super fine fellow a-goner. Greg, thank you again for the AWESOME Krell!

So there's the condensed version of our equipment.

As far as musical taste... my wife and I enjoy the following. In no particular order...

Rock
Blues
Big Band
We'll... actually we like just about all genres except OPERA!!!
We also like our music as low as background and all the way up to concert levels whilst enjoying Several-Frosty-Beverages.

Oh wise one's... please grace me with your honest opinions.

I hope that gives you's guy's enough info to make a choice/recommendation.
If any other information may help you with your recommends please let me know.

Thanks,

Skip
128x128joysjane

Showing 3 responses by joysjane

BRF & Perfect_sound...
What is it that you prefer the older KSA's over the S model? What's yall's take on that? Isn't the only difference that one offers balanced operation?
By the way all, I'm actually leaning toward the KSA as I like the tank like built of that amp.
Keep the opinions coming. It really helps to hear from those who have owned one, especially those who have owned both.
I really wish it was feasible to audition them back to back. The only way that would be possible, for me in Wyoming, would be to purchase them both, compare, and then sell the one that doesn't pass my mustard test.
Jsd... ouch!!!

Skip
Brf,

I noticed that the 250 does have balanced capabilities. Something I prefer.
As far as capping... do you mean replacement of the original, possibly drying out, capacitors or are you talking upgraded caps?
Sgr... as far as heat goes I don't believe that will be much of a concern. I've heard of how hot they run. They'll be located in a position where they're by themselves and not in a stand configuration. I was also looking at Parasound's Zbreeze fan for some extra cooling for the Krell. Looks like a pretty nice product.
Sure want to thank all for their expert advice. It so nice to have a-gon to go to for opinions from those who are so knowledgable in this hobby!

Skip
SWEET,

Will find out what a cap replacement would cost from Alpha Tech & Krell. Will try and get a quote from both.

If I could get a step by step instructional on how to replace the caps, I could do that myself... used to build pc-boards for the Dragon Missile System (For the Army) back in my late teens @ McDonnell Douglas. I would also need a schematic and parts list. That's a viable option except for the testing and settings of the amp. Have no idea on how to do the bias adjustment, dc-offset, check oscillation and such. No oscilloscope and no experience as how to read them!

Looks like I'll be checking You Tube.

I can't find ANYONE locally who could work on this amp. We don't have a single electronics repair business here in Laramie. The closest is Ft. Collins @ about an hour South and then Denver @ about 2 hours South. Bet I could find someone in Denver. They have a few High-End Audio shops there.

My only worries would be that if someone other than Krell did any work on the amp would Krell still work on the unit if it were ever in need to be returned to Krell for repair? Musical Fidelity won't do it!

Skip