Jolida JD100. How good is it?

Have been using my dvd for stereo and would like to improve. The sound is good but not great. Seems shallow. Dymanics are there but blurred together. Looking for a warmer sound and seperation of instruments. Have read reviews on the jolida but would appreciate input and any other suggested players. Price range around 500 and used will be fine unless there are reasons not to go used on a cd player. Listen to all types of music with exception of rap, hip hop, and head slammer.
Current system:
Denon avr 2800 (will go seperates soon), Onkyo integra dvd, Polk audio speakers, Bryston 3b(front two), Velodyne hgs10.
scoly1

Showing 2 responses by socrates

Good luck finding a Jolida JD100 for 5 bills used, it seems to be the current flavor-of-the-month in budget CDPs. For $500, the Rega Planet 2000 is probably as good as it gets for a single box player, and will be an easy improvement to appreciate over you DVD player. You may also want to think about an external dac, such as the Bel Canto 1 or MSB Link Dac w/Upsampling card.
A question, if I may, about this tube CDP. Is there any tube 'hiss' whatsoever from it to be heard through the speakers? I've had and heard tube preamps and amps, as the stereotype goes, most of course have rolled off highs and soggy lows, and along with the noise I can't stand to live with them. Are these characteristics also present in a tube CDP, such as the Jolida? Thanks!