Is the Oppo-105 with Modwright modifications

As good as they say it is. I was talking to a dealer today and he said you can't have a state of the art product when you start with crap. He said the Saber DAC's were junk and I'd be wasting my money doing the Modwright upgrades. On the other hand I have heard people rave about it. What is your take on this player and the Modwright upgrades? Am I better off buying a high-end used CD player without a warranty. I like the Idea of a modded player but I don't want to be disappointed and take a big loss.
taters

Showing 11 responses by taters

If I decide to modify the 105 I'll use Modwright. His modification is a lot more thorough.
Cdent,

Are you saying I will lose 75% of the Modification if I don't like it and have to sell?
Someone in Southern California must have a player I can listen to. I've been a member of Audiogon for 12 years and have perfect feedback. I would extend the courtesy to another member if they had the credentials that I do.
hgeifman,

If the modded 105 is the best source you have ever heard in your system why not sell the Ayre player and get it. I'm sure you can get good money for your Ayre player.
Tubegroover,

You are right, I did not word it right. You obviously understood what I was trying to say. Thanks for pointing that out.
Jwm,

Do you currently have the Oppo 105 modded? I would like to find someone that has this unit so I could listen to it. Preferably in my system. Of course I would be ok hearing it somewhere else if need be. I just don't want to do a crap shoot in the dark. I would be a lot more comfortable hearing it first. I have talked to the people at Modwright and they are very nice.

If someone in Southern California would let me audition this unit I would be happy to pay you for you're time.
Abruce,

I know his mods are cheaper but do they sound as good as Modwright. Plus if you ever want to sell the unit more people are familiar with Modwright than EVS. I think having a modded setup by EVS would be harder to sell.
Dougmc,

I'll call Dan and see if he will have the oppo-105 modded at the show. The only problem is I don't like to listen to gear at shows. It's very distracting. I was hoping someone would bring the player over here or I could bring my player to someone else's house. I just want to make a comparison before I spend 3500.00. The modification is almost twice as much as the stock 105.