Is $3000 pushing the limits for a geat monitor??

I want to go to a monitor speaker because I cannot physically handle the weight and size of a 80lbs floor standing speakers any longer.

I have looked at several monitors like the Sonus Faber Venere MKII series; Lenaham ML-1 made in Australia, Spendor, Harbeth. I have listened to the older Dynaudio Excite 12 and new version, Excite 14. I like the sound of both of the latter speakers, but the dealer insists I hear the Dynaudio Focus 160. Unfortunately, he has none in stock to buy or for audition.

Therefore, any member currently own a pair of the Focus 160, or have auditioned them recently. I need some good feedback about this model's sound quality before charging in and buying them. I also want to get opinions about whether a monitor can compete with a large floorstander. Thanks to all !!!!!
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by brownsfan

Sunnyjim, I replaced my Magnepan 3.7Rs with Coincident Triumph Extreme IIs, which retail for $3000, $4K with stands. I couldn't be happier. They are just amazingly coherent. The low frequency roll of starts at a higher frequency than the Maggies, but the roll off on the Magies was much steeper. In my listening room, the Triumph Extremes had more usable response at 35 Hz than the Maggies did.

I also have a pair of Ref 4A deCapo Be's that I like a lot. They don't have the coherence of the Coincidents, nor are they as detailed, but still they are very good monitors.