HP Caravelle Monitor V/S Manger Zerobox109

Hi Warrenh,

Your review of the Harmonic Precision Caravelle Monitor speakers is very intriguing, right now im in the process of upgrading my speakers to Manger Zerobox 109 from a pair of Dynaudio 1.3SE.

Please can you tell me how do they compare to the HP Caravelle Monitor's, the mangers to me were extremly smooth without the loss of detail and the vocals were the *BEST* I have heard till date in the in the range of $10,000.

My electronics are as follows;
Conrad Johnson MF2500A
Audio Areo Prima DAC MKII (Capitole Dac)
Proceed CDD Transport

Satyam

PS:I have posted the same question in your review of the HP Caravelle Monitor.
sbfx

Showing 3 responses by sbfx

Thanks Scott,

I'm eagerly awaiting your review on the Caravelle's, I’m finding it really hard to make my decision as the Caravelle's are not cheap and to buy without a audition is extremely hard, but surely has got me very interested in the product.

Also I find it surprising that no one else has much interest in the Manger Zerobox speakers if anyone has heard them please give me your opinions.

Thanks,
Sataym
Hi,

I had stated this thread about 3months back and suddenly it has come back alive again, well I haven't upgraded my speakers as yet still using the dynaudio 1.3se.

I have auditioned the mangers several times after my initial post thou and here’s my conclusion on the Zerobox 109;
They sound completely natural the vocals from these speakers are fantastic, the image is big, stable and pin point, but it is not a speaker for all types of music the top end is very different like its not there :), and when you play some aggressive music and it sounds mellow all the aggressiveness is lost.
I guess if I only heard jazz, acoustic... then these speakers would be perfect for me, they are the MOST coherent and smooth pair of speakers I have ever heard.

But in the end I dint get them ultimately because for me if a speaker cannot play all kinds of music then it's not worth it, I have been told the bigger brother the 107 is better but I don’t know if covers up the short comings of the 109.

As for the HP monitors sadly I guess I will never get to audition them as I’m from India unless when I’m in the US for holidays, and I’m rather chicken to just buy them unheard as they are rather expensive and if for any reason I don’t like them I wouldn’t be able to resell them over here as no one knows about them.

Regards,
Satyam
Mattybumpkin,

The merlin uses the Dynaudio Esotar D330/A tweeters, which by any standards are world class, they are one of the most reveling and the most sweet sounding tweeters I have heard.

So who ever said that the Merlin VSM is using 100$ tweeters has got his facts wrong as the Esotar's are about $300.

Regards,
Satyam