How much better is rega rb1000 over rb700?

Is it worth upgrading from a rega rb700 to a top of the line rb1000?

How do they differ functionally and sonically?

Thanks

Mike
audiohifila
Try contacting someone at www.soundorg.com - they are the US distributor of Rega products. Steve or Chad will be happy to answer your questions. They have been very helpful to me in the past
Supposedly the RB-1000 tonearms are meticulously assembled and there are only 2 trained technicians that do this. The bearings are also supposedly of higher quality. I have never disassmbled either of these arms to verify this. The RB-1000 is polished rather than painted and has metal pieces that replace the plastic pieces on the RB-700.
I cannot say anything about performance between the 2 arms since I have never compared them side by side but I do own 2 RB-700 arms and they are quite good for the money.
I think Nigel Tufnel and Marty DiBergi had a discussion about this very topic:

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's three-hundred better isn't it? It's not the RB700. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing with their RB700. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Buy an RB1000?
Nigel Tufnel: RB1000. Exactly. Three hundred better
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make the RB700 better and make the RB700 be the top tonearm and make that a little better?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to one-thousand.