How important is the efficiency of a speaker to you?

I went to an audio meeting recently and heard a couple of good sounding speakers. These speakers were not inexpensive and were well built. Problem is that they also require a very large ss amp upstream to drive them. Something that can push a lot of current, which pretty much rules out most low-mid ( maybe even high) powered tube amps. When I mentioned this to the person doing the demo, i was basically belittled, as he felt that the efficiency of a speaker is pretty much irrelevant ( well he would, as he is trying to sell these speakers). The speaker line is fairly well known to drop down to a very low impedance level in the bass regions. This requires an amp that is going to be $$$, as it has to not be bothered by the lowest impedances.

Personally, if I cannot make a speaker work with most tube amps on the market, or am forced to dig deeply into the pocketbook to own a huge ss amp upstream, this is a MAJOR negative to me with regards to the speaker in question ( whichever speaker that may be). So much so, that I will not entertain this design, regardless of SQ.

Your thoughts?

128x128daveyf

Showing 1 response by lanx0003

I prefer speakers with a sensitivity range between 86-88 dB; I dislike those with a sensitivity higher than 88 dB because I want to avoid any hiss from the speakers. Contrary to the belief that high-sensitivity speakers perform better in low-level listening, the key lies in how you adjust the equalization to achieve a proper ELC.

Another misconception is that people believe high-sensitivity speakers can be driven by lower-wattage amplification and produce equally good, if not better, sound quality. There are a couple of reviews demonstrating that the Klipsch Cornwall IV (102 dB) can be driven with a higher-power amplifier to achieve better sound quality with more control throughout the frequency range than lower-power counterparts.