How good is the Oppo 105 as a DAC?

I'm in the market for a good DAC and always heard good things about the DAC in the Oppo 105. I already have the 103 Darbee edition for my home theater setup but was wondering about using the Oppo 105 for my 2 channel setup.

My 2 channel system (will) consist of a Cary Audio SLP 98L tube pre and Cary Cinema 5 solid state amp with Verity Parsifal (or other) speakers. Would I be better served with a more expensive dedicated DAC for a system of this calibre, or would there be only slight improvements over the DAC in the Oppo 105? It would be nice to have the transport as well.
larrybou

Showing 3 responses by dkarmeli

I still can't understand the infatuation with Oppo, even as a DVD player. I don't see a superior image to any $300 DVD player from Denon, Panasonic or Sony. Sonically it's mediocre at best and easily beaten by a Meitner BiDat of years ago.
Hi Pokey77, I arrived at my conclusions during the custom installations I've done over the past few years. Most of the time I'm comparing the Oppo to Denon players and prefer the latter in every case. I don't sell either product and don't have a horse in this race. I'm not saying that Oppo's a bad product but it's not high end, just a slightly enhanced flavor of a mass market product.
Pokey77, I'm comparing it mid priced Denon Universal players from $700 - $1500 range. The model nos. are irrelevant as they're changing them constantly along with the US price points.