How come there is no thread on the RealityCheck?

In my opinion this one the greatest improvements in audio in 40 years. AA is full of discussions about it, but there has been nothing here. Maybe that a $575 tweak is beyond Audiogoners?
tbg

Showing 22 responses by kana813

Exlibris-

Yes, the high level of ripple noise from these supplies can increase jitter on the clock generators. Power supply noise can also effect the disk read functions.
sorry, question meant for Tbg.

So,Tbg have you upgraded or replaced the SMPS in the RealityCheck?
Tbg- according to George the unit is powered by a switch mode power supppy. The noise level on these supplies can increase jitter in digital equipment. Just like your CDP, upgrading this supply, switching to a linear power supply or battery power should reduce noise and improve performance. Have you looked at the power supply?
Everyone on these forums walks the line between enthusiasm and endorsement.

Unless someone is proven to be selling, or having received the product(s)in question for free or at some special accomodation pricing, let's give them the benefit of the doubt, that they're excited about what they hear, and ask questions to qualify the improvements they're reporting.

Attacking without first hand knowledge of the product's performance, IMO, should also be subject to both criticism and skepticism.

Exlibris- Before you add the batteries, check out:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/resources/blackgate/blackgate043.pd
After reading the about the RCCD duplicator, I'd rather take a chance on spending $75. for the #8500 fluid, than give George $145 for UltraBit Gold™.
Tbg- Guess you didn't make it to CES. Anthony said you never called him.

Did you see the mention of George's products in Stereotimes.com's(CP) CES coverage?
Exlibris-

Tbg sent me pictures of the stock SMPS, it's a:

AK2 A65A1-02M
65 watt output
+5 volts at 3.5 amps
+12 volts at 4.0 amps

Sounds like your tech either under rated the amps on the transformer or regulator. Did he measure the current draw on the +5v and +12V rails?

There's some great off the shelf linears available for under $100.

I'd be happy to upgrade the SMPS for you, if you're interested. See my system.

Anything that reduces power supply noise in digital circuits, should be worth the effort.
Exlibris- If you could ask your technician what amperage
draw is on the +5 and +12V rails, Tbg and others could
look for off the shelf linears for their RCs.
"Aproximately 1.5 amps per rail. Make sure to look at the unit first to see what you are getting into. There a *lots* of conections to deal with. Off the shelf linears are one not the best approach because the power supply should be decoupled within the unit itself."

Exlibris- appreciate the info. It's very easy to place some
caps inside the unit to decouple an off the shelf linear like the Condors which are available at these rating. I've seen the stock supply and realize there are additional connections. The connectors are readily available.
George has introduced a new product RealDisc™. Waiting time between treatment steps has been reduced to 1-minute from 5-minutes.
Tvad-

Mahalo for all the info.

Do you have a link to the IO shop?

I also wonder if an external burner with a separate power supply would produce similar results.
Now that it's been discovered where George gets his CD duplicator and black CDRs from, all that's left are his sources for the ingredents in RealDisc,ClearBit and the
the manufacturer of his MicroTex cloth.
"Kana813, you are right. Mr. Louis gets his basic chassis from the same source the iopshop.com gets theirs. In fact he is now selling the same base unit for $215."

Tbg- I don't know why anyone would buy this unit from George, but if you did, you could still install the Plextor 716As for less than the cost of RealityCheckCD Audiophile Grade Duplicator RCCD-AG 2.2™.

I got a brand new Iomega external burner recommended by Mr.Koh for less than $20. on ebay. All I need are sources for the ingredents in RealDisc,ClearBit and the MicroTex cloth.

PS- Does your unit have Plextor drives?

PPS- What speed to burn copies at?
Sksos- my experience with telephone calls and emails with George are similar to yours.

I really appreciate Norm's bring this product/issue to the forum, and thanks to folks who provided info about the hardware, CDR, etc.

If you read my posts, I saw the potential to improve the burning process with psu and other audiophile upgrades.

We can wax on about what George does or doesn't do to the stand alone burner he sells, but I think everyone can agree CD duplicators and cleaning /disc treatments have the potential to improve the sonic performance of some CDs. Like many, many other CDs tweaks, YMMV.
There seems to be a number of different versions of Cool Copy burners, which model did Steve compare to the RC?
Rhirsch-

Mahalo. It appears to be the same as the Alesis CD Twin:

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=7
"The advantage is that these treatments benefit BOTH the write and the readback with these CD-R copies."

"Of course, if you mod the transport and ALSO rewrite properly treated disks, the results can be amazing"

I can understand the value of treating the source CD when using a copier like the RC, but if you're using EAC to rip the CD to HD, and it reads the source CD until it gets the bits correct, why should treating the source disk make a difference?

Dan

PS- IMO, the difference all this stuff makes, is very small
compared to treating the listening room, doing digital
room correction, and reducing power supply noise.
Norm- glad we agree on two out of three. Sometime you should try a Aberdeen(mauimods.com) modified TacT RCS.

Where can one purchase Nespa?