High power vs bi amp low power?

I am getting a divorce and need to redo my stereo. My X owns the amplifier that powered the stereo.... speakers & pre/pro receivers are mine. Thus I am in the market for new/used amps to power my old speakers.

Presently, the speakers (Infinity Kappa 8.1) are bi amped with a Parasound HCA1500 going to each speaker. I started a thread a while ago discussing class D amps and I am leaning towards getting amplifiers from D-Sonic.

My question is - am I better of going with a 1500wx2 or 800wx2 amp to power both main speakers? Or would I be better off going with say a 4 channel 400w (or 800w) x 4 amp or two 400w (or 800w) x2 amp so each speaker is bi amped?

Not that I crank the music/movies but I do like having more power then needed.

128x128viggen900

Showing 2 responses by viggen900

So it looks like a coin toss on which way is better

Budget wise I am not sure.... I want to do a 5.somethng surround minus the sub due to $$$$, they will be added at a later date. I have a old Adcom GFA5500 that's been demoted to my garage that I can use to power the rears or not use it in that system and put it in my bedroom.

I would say probably $4,000 is the max I can do, with cheaper being better. That's for a amp to run everything. I would be willing to put $2-3K or so on a amp to run the main speakers but I would still need something to run the center channel .

I thought of doing something like D-sonic's 5 channel amp, 5x800 or 5x1500 or depending on cost 7x800 or 7x1500.... I have also been reading up on the Wyred for sound stuff.... any other suggestions??

Local store pushes Bryston but for what I need it's way out of my budget.
I called and talked with D-sonic yesterday.... I think I will give them a try, just trying to figure out how much power I need or don't need. He suggested 600w or more.... leaning towards either 800w or 1500w..... not that I would need/use it, but figure headroom is a good thing!! My rear surround speakers are presently the same as my main fronts... the old Kappa 8.1's

The bel-canto amps do look nice.... but I worry they aren't powerful enough plus even used I think 3 of their amps would be out of my budget....