Headshell recommendations for AT33SA on SL1200G

Hello

I am planning to upgrade my cart to an AT33SA on my SL1200G, but I'm a little confused about whether this would require me to also change the headshell (low compliance cart, resonance frequency etc.).

Can I keep the standard headshell, or should I upgrade to something heavier? Can I go as heavy as an Audio-Technica LH/OCC AT-LH for example?

Many thanks!
diceman72

Showing 1 response by dconsmack

The AT33 carts are very short and you will need a headshell spacer. I’ve tried many and the best for this cart on that arm are sold on eBay (seller: voiddone). They’re made out of black delrin plastic and include 1.5mm and 3.2mm thicknesses. Don’t bother with the plastic mounting hardware that’s included because the screw head’s diameter, washers and nuts are all slightly too big for the cart and the headshell slots.
I’d use the Technics headshell with the 3.2mm delrin spacer. Replace the stock headshell wiring with the leads that come with the cartridge; the gold plated clips are the right size and the wiring is an upgrade. Use the mounting hardware that comes with the cartridge. Done.