has anyone else tried Lloyd Walkers latest tweak

Lloyd Walker has a new tweak: the black diamond crystal for cartridges. It's a crystal you put on either the tonearm or the cartridge that [I KID YOU NOT] transforms the sound!
I know, I know, [don't ask me to explain it,I can't] it can't be all that, but i'm tellin you try this thing [if you don't like it you can return it] for less than half the price of a really good cartridge you get A REALLY GOOD CARTRIDGE!!!
Please post your experience
perditty

Showing 11 responses by rodman99999

It matters not how great the piece of equipment. There will always be room for improvement, until SOMETHING exactly replicates the original performance, in every regard(timbre/dynamics/sound stage/imaging/etc), or(at least) the original tape/digital master.
Mr P- There are many on this site that need no experience with anything, to know that something does not/can not function as claimed, or- as others have observed. A prime example of 'The Dunning-Kruger Effect' at work.
Mr P- Your first sentence makes too much sense for those, "many" to accept. Again: 'The Effect' at work in them. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect) (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolved-primate/201006/when-ignorance-begets-confidence-the-classic-dunning-kruger-effect)
Mr L- Type: "crystal radio" in your searchbar. The only energy necessary for their function, is that provided by an AM signal, within range. Also, along with that, type Schottky and germanium(small signal or low barrier diodes). they can take the place of a crystal, in that app. You will find that this has been common knowledge, for generations. Happy listening!
1)Cornell University is hardly a jailhouse. 2)I never offered an opinon on the Crystal, only a reply to the first poster's comment(The Effect probably blocked you from recognizing that fact). I do have plenty of experience, regarding those with oral incontinence(such as yours), however(seems I REALLY hit a nerve). Help yourself(et al) to, "The Last Word." Bet you can't contain it, and I can use the laughs.
Mr G- Of course; the Shakti is designed to eliminate RFI/EMI on a much grander scale, than the immediate proximity to a cartridge would entail(HOPEFULLY). Again- I limited my likening of their(possible)similarities to the 3 areas mentioned(and I'm only hypothesizing, regarding the Walker).
Thank you Almarg, for the clarification. Had I seen that sooner, I could have saved a few keystrokes.
Mr L: Thinking back to my(at about the age of 10) first electronic project, a crystal radio; virtually the only components it contained were the crystal itself, which was described as, "the detector" & a tuning coil. I'm certain you are familiar with radio waves and their electro-magnetic energy, so- I'll skip that treatise. In a crystal radio; the detector changes the received RF energy(via antenna/tuner) and changes it into an audio signal. The detector is actually a rectifier & when radio was first invented; many found that various rocks, that were crystalline(ie: pyrite, galena, etc), could be used as detectors. Isn't is possible, that these mystery crystals are composed of a rectifying substance that is then sized and shaped to tune in to certain RF freqs, deleterious to our listening pleasure? In the radio app; the audio signal's energy is directed to, and expended by, earphones. I have no hypothesis as to what the crystal might do with what RFI/EMI energy it might capture. Not to start another debate and I have no idea whether they work or not, but- Shakti Stones are purported to function the same way.
re: The Shakti- Yes; that it is passive, absorbs RFI/EMI(purportedly)) and is not grounded, was my point.
For electro-magnetic waves to be changed to audio signals(within a detector/crystal), they must be, "absorbed." The only thing a crystal needs to do so, is an antenna. Perhaps, in the case of the wavelengths that the Walker deals with, the size or shape of the crystal obviates that need( as I mentioned earlier). Just trying to present a plausible possibility, for Mr L.