Good Matching Cartridge For Micro Seiki 505

I am looking for a really good matching cartridge for this 505 tonearm, output must be at least 1.0mv???
jsman
I just installed MA505LS and have played around with MM cartridges only. It sounds very nice with Grace F9, Signet TK7LCa, A&R P77, and Empire 4000D/III. 

On-the-fly VTA, VTF, and anti-skating make setting it up a breeze compared to some other tonearms. Great for trying out different cartridges. 

Well I have the MA-505S and all the cartridges sampsa nominates are beauties....👍
As he rightly says....is this the world's only tonearm that allows VTF, VTA and antiskate all on-the-fly?
And just to make it perfect.....azimuth adjustment no matter what headshell you use.
Used to be my go-to arm for testing new cartridge acquisitions before I got the DV-507/II.
You'll find it hard to find a cartridge that doesn't work with this creation 😎

You'll find it hard to find a cartridge that doesn't work with this creation

SPU. Or at least the counterweight in mine wasn't able to balance it. I bought a bigger after-market counterweight on eBay though, so should be fine now. 😎
halcro
You'll find it hard to find a cartridge that doesn't work with this creation
There's no such thing as a universal pickup arm. An arm must be matched to a cartridge that's suitable to the arm's mass.  

There’s no such thing as a universal pickup arm. An arm must be matched to a cartridge that’s suitable to the arm’s mass.

A mid-mass arm like MA505 with a removable headshell is as close to a universal arm as you are going to get as the weight can be tailored to a great degree by changing the headshell. (Some other arms allow changing the entire arm wand, like my AC3000/4000.)

Ignoring my own comment above for the moment, here are examples of people on this same forum claiming the MA505 sounds great with a high-compliance Empire and a low-compliance Koetsu:

http://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-empire-scientific-co-4000diii-cartridge (in_shore’s comment)

http://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/micro-seiki-ma-505-arm-how-good-is-it

There's no such thing as a universal pickup arm. An arm must be matched to a cartridge that's suitable to the arm's mass.

You're welcome to live your audio life by this spurious maxim but I would have missed out on dozens of glorious arm/cartridge combinations had I not discovered the error of this 'myth' 😎
I bought a bigger after-market counterweight on eBay though...

Oh yes...I forgot about this. The limiting factor with the MA-505 is that its counterweight is undersized for heavy cartridges. I bought an additional weight for just such events although I rarely used it due to mainly running MM cartridges.
halcro
I would have missed out on dozens of glorious arm/cartridge combinations had I not discovered the error of this 'myth'
It's easier to get away with a mismatched arm and cartridge on a system that isn't full range, and of course many systems can't play the lowest octaves. But as for arm/cartridge matching being a "myth," you can only believe that if you believe physics and geometry are also myths.

Post removed 
Let’s do the physics then. Since I don't know the effective mass of the MA505, let's take Halcro’s FR64s, which I believe has 20g effective mass. Then add an 8g headshell (e.g., Yamamoto boxwood), where most of the mass is quite far from the stylus and hence let’s guesstimate its contribution to the effective mass to be 6g. Then add a 6g cartridge like A&R P77, where again most of the mass is well towards the pivot and not right at the stylus, so we guesstimate its contribution to be about 5g. So now we’re at 31g total effective mass. Compliance is 20 and thus the resonance is 6.4Hz, which is fine. Even if we took the headshell & cartridge at full weight, we’d be at 6.1Hz, which is also fine. If you have a stable turntable & non-warped record, this should play fine.

Now switch a Koetsu Rosewood into the same headshell. Its weight is 9g and we can again guesstimate the contribution to be a bit lower at 7.5g, say. The compliance is 5 and thus the resonance is 12.5Hz, which is fine. Again, even if we take the headshell & cartridge at full weight, we’d be at 11.7Hz, which is again fine.

@halcro 

As he rightly says....is this the world's only tonearm that allows VTF, VTA and antiskate all on-the-fly?

Reed 3P allows all these options plus the azymuth on the fly :) 
Reed 3P allows all these options plus the azymuth on the fly :)

I'm impressed....👏
@sampsa55, I didn't suggest that there's but one one specific effective mass cartridge that will work with any given pickup arm. A pickup arm will accept cartridges with a range of effective mass, and some pickup arms are more forgiving than others. But, there are limits. For example, you wouldn't want to put a Koetsu Black in an Infinity Black Widow arm.
I want to thank all who replied, I think I am gonna sell it and keep what I already have!!!