Favorite 300B: Sophia vs KR

Which do you prefer; S.E.T. Princess 300B Carbon Plate or KR 300B WE Clone?

I've only experienced NOS 40's/50's WE so my expectations are pretty high. Which do you think captures the essence of the WE most closely? I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible so EAT is not an option, as much as I was blown away by their KT88. I considered current WE but they're not in production until Spring 2011.

-
sakahara

Showing 5 responses by onemug

Here is some first hand info I'd like to share:

I like Sophia's Princess meshes or more accurately, "perforated plates" :-).

I have them plus some EML solid, KR and WE's. I would love to try the EML "true" meshes but was also warned to be careful of what amp I put them in.

I have never had a problem with the Sophias in my other 300b amps (Art Audio Symphony II and a custom one). I recently got some new Cary 300b monoblocks. They came with their own Cary branded/made to their spec 300b's which are mesh/perforated. No problem with their tubes in their amp. When I rolled the Sophias, within 5 minutes I had a orange spot developing on the plates. These particular Cary's run the tube real hard and you can't adjust it. Over 400 volts and 80 mA of current. Yeah, that gets you around 15 watts out of a 300b but at what price? Way shorter lifespan for sure and I don't think they sounded as good as my 7 watt and 10 watt 300b amps (those run in the 300's voltage wise, and maybe 50-60 mA's). I had a tech add a resistor to the Cary's to drop the bias down to 65 mA and the Sophias still developed an orange spot. The Cary's are now gone.

To someone interested in meshes, I would recommend contacting the maker of your 300b amp and asking them what voltage and current they are running the tube at. Even though a solid plate can dissapate more heat, it will have a shorter life if it's ran hard. Short of finding out those specs, I would guess you would be safe with the meshes if the amp is rated at less than 10 wpc and safer yet, 7 wpc. Hope this helped.
Agree with Charles1dad, I have one amp that a 6sn7 change was more noticable than 300b tube rolling.
Charles1dad,

How many hours would you say you have on each pair?

To all re this thread: Wow. 6 pages/over 300 replies...no negativity. I'm seeing that as the exception not the rule. Nicely done.

I always enjoy Charles1dad's posts. They are fair, balanced and "wide" minded. Now I've added a few more peeps to my list.
Phaelon,

Couple of my thoughts on tubes and specifically 300b's (one of my faves):

I haven't heard of any manufacturers of tubes recommending limited hours but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. 24/7 is around 750 hrs a month or 9000 a year. That's a lot of hours on output tubes. I can imagine a scenario where there are 2 people with identical amps and running the same tubes...the 24/7 guy gets 6 to 9 months on his, the "on often" guy gets years on his.

Another factor is how hard the tube "amp" manufacturer chose to run the tubes in his design. Good to know specs are the voltage and current. I've seen charts on 300b tubes that have said you can run up to 450 volts and up to 80 milliamps BUT NOT BOTH.

Get an amp that runs the tubes near the ragged edge and they won't last as long as compared to an amp running them more conservative.