Exchange Krell KAV-250a for a Pass Labs X-350?

Would I gain anything by exchanging my Krell KAV-250a for a Pass Labs X350? I am not dissatisfied with the Krell. It seems to be a pretty good match for my Dynaudio 1.3 Se�s. But yet I do not know what something else would sound like. I do know that these speakers like a chunck of power and they tend to be easy to get good sound out of. If the Pass amps will not be a vast improvement, what would be a good choice? I generally listen to jazz and a bit of rock and classical so my demands are not huge. I am using a NAD Silverline S-100 preamp and I have a Velodyne HGS-15 sub for when I want to rock but for the lighter jazz and classical it is not necessary. The only other upgrade that I am considering is moving to the Harmonic Technology Magic interconnect and speaker cables. I would appreciate some education on what would be the best amp for this set up. Dale
mcne

Showing 2 responses by gregm

Dale: r you sure the Krell is the culprit (if culprit there is)? Can you try another pre -- just for the experience (just a suggestion, pls don't go into sudden pre upgrade mode...:-)

I personally like the Pass X better than the Krell KAVs -- but so what? I listen to classical, blues & jazz and have not heard your amp-speaker combo, to boot! Also, I'm sure the NAD's a great machine, but how's the chemistry w/ your Krell?

What's your source, BTW?
Dale, you mention "sterile": to me this sounds like you're questioning the KAVs tonal balance & musicality in yr system. IMO, try the X-350 on this system; listen to light jazz & classical, and check out the X's tonal balance vs. the KAV. You want to be drawn into the music -- i.e. does the Pass render subtle musical details more realistically to your ears? Do the little sounds "make sense", are they indispensable to the musical piece -- or could you have dispensed with them? If they do and are, and didn't and were'nt before, keep the Pass!

Three people I know (who found the KAVs a tad "dry" to their taste) ultimately chose Pass, YBA, Atma-sphere. Pls note, however: COMPLETELY different systems!

Cheers!