Ever hear a power cable make a huge difference?

I just had to share this. I went to synergistic research the other day to get some cables re-terminated. I saw some power cords on the floor and decided to ask about them. Ted, said they were all prototypes, would I like to listen. He brought me into the demo room and played some great music. He switched out the preamp power cord for one of the prototypes and man was it noticably better. Then, he left and came back into the room with a big smile on his face. He pulled a cable from the back that I swear was just recently built. He confirmed that no one had listened to it yet. He put the new power cable on the preamp and...................NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! It was unbelieveable what a difference I heard. I could not believe how much bigger the sound stage grew, better focus, detail, and faster tighter bass. I had him switch the PC in and out because I just could not believe what I heard. Then he said "lets make it better." He brought it to his Tesla machine and gave it a quantum tunneling. He put it back in the system and to my surprise it was un believably better then what I had just heard. It now made the whole system easily sound 3 times as good. I just could not believe my ears. Then I had to know, how much could I get this cable for. I would think at least $2000 if not $3000. Nope, this will probably go for $500. Well Ted, sign me up for a few of those bad boys.
brutusab

Showing 3 responses by dpac996

it's a small to mid sized basic Tesla coil, (not a Van de Graff generator). The tesla coil generates massive voltages that easily exceed the breakdown voltage of air. It would seem that the folks at SR are using the cable under test to connect the target ground point (the thing the spark discharges to) to ground via the unit under test (the cable). The high frequency ( >100kHz + harmonics) voltage pulses will no doubt cause an effect to the dielectrics of the cable, but will they last...?

It would seem they refer to this method of dielectric change as quantum tunneling...big words for a very simple phenomenon. Very nice video. Love the ceiing vent.
By the way if anyone is remotely interested in sending me their cables for the ultimate tunneling job I can hook them up to my jumbo bug zapper, or a pimped out neon sign transformer to about the same effect. Just bend over and wire the money first.
i've built tesla coils and van de graff generators. I know exactly what you ware talking about. The intangible excitement surrounding that first right spark gap and correct resonance is nothing short of awesome. Yes to do it with solid state IGBT's is the next best thing, but spark gaps are way cool. I suppose this issue could easily meltdown to a tesla coil analog of tube vs ss in audio amps..whatever. THe puzzeling thing to me, unless you are charging both the positive and negative wires with the same potential, you will easily exceed the dielectric breakdown of your insulating materials and essentially break your own cables by the arcing. Once you have caused punch through of the insulation there is no turning back. How do you verify that you have not caused this?
How do they gurantee the effects from the high voltage are lasting... The QT treatment sounds like it aligns the dipole moments of the di-electric...I wonder how they ensure this forced biasing actually sticks...