EL 34 vs. KT 88 ---- What's the difference?

Can someone please tell me or be able to describe the sonic differences in the use of each of these tubes?

Is one tube better than the other...or does one tube provide more warmth and tube-like qualities than the other?

Does anyone know why a tube amp designer would select one over the other?

Thanks.
128x128gerryn

Showing 1 response by boband212

for many it boils down to bass, more bass, less bass, etc. bass, bass, bass. the 6550 and KT*** tubes offer a darker, more mellow sound; more bass. The 6550, kt120 and kt150 tubes do give off a lot of heat. very hot. the el34 tubes are more lush, and musical. the midrange is great. but- the Tungsol EL34B tubes give a punch to the bass. also Gold Lion gold pin 12at7 tubes help with bass, and Tungsol gold pin 12ax7 tubes add a bit to the upper frequencies. Get an amp without tubes. Buy your own. I sell Black Ice Audio gear (Jolida Audio). I have used different tubes. There is nearly as many opinions about tubes as there are different tubes. The tubes I mention represent excellent value, and reliability. In the Fusion 3502S amp I prefer the EL34 tubes to the 6550 tubes. (like the JD302CRC amp)