Cryogenic treatment of an LP?

Is this even possible? I am just thinking outloud here and wondering of the benefits and welcome your comments. I'm unsure if an lp could even survive the process normally targeted at metal components. (Warp factor 10 captain). Ultra freezing and then slowly re-heating a chunk of plastic. Still, one wonders exactly what impact molecular alignment would have (if any).

Through the employment of ultra-low temperatures, 300 Below, Inc. cryogenic processing helps improve all kinds of products by realigning the molecular structure of an object, optimally resulting in items which last significantly longer and perform far better than they were previously designed.
tubed1

Showing 2 responses by br3098

Stop, please stop! You're killing me - I'm splitting a gut laughing at some of the comments to this post.

This is an example of our "superior" American education system at work. All of you who have never taken a high school or college physics class, please raise your hand. Hmmm, just as I suspected. OK, let's make it easy: the secret word is thermodynamics. Go ahead and Google it, we'll wait...

But back to the OP. In a nutshell, (so-called) cryogenically treating vinyl records is a bad idea for several reasons; but mainly because PVC, like most ethenyl compounds, contain some small amount of asphaltenes that are prone to stress fractures under low temperaures.

Question - what do your LPs ave in common with your driveway?

Answer - ask anyone who lives in Minnesota about how their asphalt driveways look like after a few cold winters. (Hint - not so good)

Class dismissed.
Geoffkait said: ...so you have to ask yourself, why would a high end outift use cryo if it didn't work?

Because there are silly audiophiles that are willing to pay for it. Just like there are other silly people that pay for palm reading and fortune telling.