Classical Music Compositions from 1940 and later - Vinyl only

This is the theme for the next music listening gathering of our local group and I'm looking for suggestions. This is a vinyl only listening session, so new music available only on digital are excluded. Yes, I know that is limiting, but that's the way it is for this listening session. 

A few pieces I've been thinking to bring from my collection, just starting from the "As",  are:

Adams, John - Harmonium, for large orchestra and chorus - De Waart/San Francisco SO - ECM 25012
Alwyn - Str Qt 2 (1975) - Quartet of London - Chandos ABRD 1063
Alwyn - Symphony No. 2 - Alwyn/LPO - Lyrita SRCS 85
Arnold, Malcolm - Pf Trio, op54 - Nash Ensemble - Hyperion A66171
Arnold, Malcolm - Overture to Tam O'Shanter, Op51 - Eiji Oue/MinnO - Reference Recordings RM 2510
Bernstein - Serenade for Violin Solo, Strings and Perc - Bernstein/SymoftheAir, Isaac Stern, vn - Columbia

What music on LP would you recommend? 
128x128rushton

Showing 8 responses by frogman

-Bartok "Concerto For Orchestra", Reiner/Chicago RCA.  Also partial to the Solti/London Symphony Decca (the finale will knock your socks off).
-Britten "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Britten/London, Decca
-Berg "Lulu/Wozzek Suites", Dorati/London, Mercury 
-Poulenc "Piano Concerto", Fremaux/Birmingham, EMI
-Copland "Clarinet Concerto", Bernstein/Drucker/NY Phil, DG
-Messaien "Quartet For The End Of Time", Tashi, RCA
-Walton "Facade", Chicago, Reference Recs.
Here's another that's a little "out of the box":

Takemitsu, music from Kurosawa's  film "Ran", Phillips.  Amazing stuff.
I am not sure what the diversion into the relative merit of pop music has to do with the OP, but (and perhaps against my better judgment), I would like to ask bdp24 for examples of what he means when he states:

****'The separation of Classical and Pop musics can be indefensible in purely artist terms. A fair amount of 20th Century Classical barely qualifies as music at all,****

Bdp24, you like Brian Wilson, we get it.  Would you like to make a contribution a little closer to what the OP is about?

Schubert, that was a brilliantly subtle retort.

I agree that Ives is without a doubt the most quintessentially American composer.  He believed, in the classic  American tradition of inclusiveness, that "all sound is potential music".  One of my favorite examples of Americanness,  and of his genius, can be found in his "Concord" piano sonata.  In one of the movements he borrows the famous "fate" motif from Beethoven's Fifth for the main theme, but accompanies it with typical Ivesian dissonance.  A German cliche with American looking to the future; a classic American theme.

Another favorite fact about Ives, and not meaning to turn this discussion to politics, is his refusal to have his music copyrighted and he had  his publisher make free copies available. For me, a sign of the generosity of America.  An amazing genius.
How is it possible we overlooked this gem?

Rachmaninoff "Symphonic Dances".  A beautiful and compositionally brilliant work that I have always had a soft spot for due, in part, to the use of the saxophone in a prominent solo role.  The go-to audiophile favorite has always been the Johanos/Dallas which does have spectacular sound and pretty good playing overall; but, is marred by a horribly out of tune saxophone solo.  The Ormandy/Philadelphia (they premiered the work) is very good, but there is something about Russian orchestras performing the works of Russian composers that rings true for me.  The Temirkanov/St. Petersburg is a favorite.

BTW, I mentioned the Messiaen "Quartet FTEOT" in my first post; wonderful work.
In my enthusiasm for the piece I forgot about one of the preconditions: The Temirkanov/St. Petersburg is not available on vinyl to the best of my knowledge.  Still, a terrific version.

Learsfool, Alan Civil also recorded Maw's succinctly titled "Chamber Music" for oboe, clarinet, horn, bassoon and piano (1962, Argo, lp).  This piece was my first exposure to Maw; very interesting British composer.  If I am not mistaken, his sonata for strings and two horns is one of his last works.

Rushton, very impressive list of works; sure to expand the musical horizons of the attendees of your listening gathering.  Congratulations and have a great time!