Cary slp-05 tubes rumor or fact?

Fellow audiophiles,

I would love to try the Black Treasure 6SN7 tubes in my Cary slp-05 preamp but am worried that their base is too large to fit into the openings on the top of the preamp. This same question has been asked before, but without response. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

You response is much appreciated!

John
nanotweeter

Showing 4 responses by kiwi_1282001

What type of sound are you looking for John?

I have tried quite a few different 6SN7 tubes in my SLP-05 (but admittedly not the Black Treasures). While changing the tone and character of the music the different tubes almost without fail saw a loss in dynamics and air and sometimes resolution too.
Hi John,

Perchance did you see Cary's latest newsletter? Looks to me that they replaced stock Cary tubes in the SLP-05 for the Rocky Mountains show. I am asking them what they used.

SEE HERE

If you find something that truly does depth, resolution and dynamics please let me know :-)

Regards
Hi Dtc,

Referring to tube positions as outlined the SLP-05 manual, Tubes 3 and 6 are the Balanced Input Buffer Tubes. These are in the signal path for any balanced input so the preamp was probably being used single-ended in the photo or at least with single-ended inputs.

Hi all,

Cary definitely do not recommend the tube socket extensions. They have talked with customer’s that have used them and they report a very dramatically reduced their sound quality. When removed and the tube they were using was directly inserted in the original socket the sound quality returned. One was on a SLP-98 and the sound change was said to be dramatic.

Please note the CV-181 can not be used in the SLP-05 without enlarging the holes in the chassis.
Dtc,

The tubes in the Cary newsletter are CV181-Z Shuguang Treasure tubes. I asked. BTW, the SLP-05 in the photo was privately owned and the owner had to modify the chassis to fit the tubes.