Cary CAD-572SE MK2

I have Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Grands, with a BAT VK-31SE pre. I am in the process of purchasing this Cary SET amp. Am I going to have a problem with synergy? I have never owned a tubed power amp, just pre-amps. It will be replacing a BAT VK-200, so it seems like it's going to be a huge drop in power. I called Cary today to check on whether or not this amp would drive my speakers and in the middle of the conversation, I realized I was talking to Dennis Had(DAMN!) Anyway Dennis said that it would drive my speakers with ease.
I guess I just want some reinforcement from other Gon'ers that, I am not screwing up too much.
jdodmead

Showing 1 response by rob_techsupport1081

Gee, I guess good'old Dennis forgot to mention a thing or two during his now-famous self-promotional comments. Things like the fact that the 572 tubes real working life comes in at about HALF the lifespan that is mentionned in the amp's owners manual.

Did Dennis mention that the 572 tube had only ONE manufacturer, Svetlana, and that they stopped manufacturing this tube at least two years ago, making remaining stock increasingly expensive ? Add this to its shortened life and keep some pocket change for frequent oil changes.

I bet Mr.Had never mentionned that, when you do run out of 572 tubes, or run out of patience in paying high tube prices, Cary will gladly modify your existing monoblocks to accept more common ( 300-B ouch $$ ! ) tubes..... for '' only'' $ 700.00. Last time I checked, you can almost get a half-decent tube amp (of non-prestigious pedigree of course) for this much.

I used to be to lucky enough to own these great-sounding amps, as they do sound good. However, when I sent mine in twice to Cary service, ( Kirk, an nice guy )for repeated technical problems - the amps where very unreliable to say the least - my opinion changed about how these sound. Call it subjectivity -

I guess its a bit like owning a Fiat. If you dont mind all the trouble and expenses, its a fun car, just like these 572 monoblocks are.

I sincerely think that if you buy these amps, ''System Synergy,' will be the least (and most inexpensive) of your concerns...
More to discover