Can you recommend some classical CD's for me?

I don't have any classical CD's in my collection.
There is so much product out there, I don't know where to start.
I would like preferrably SACD but not totally necessary if the redbook CD is well recorded.
I don't want any vocals.
I am not a big fan of large classical orchestras.
I like classical guitar, I enjoy the cello.
I guess more stringed instrument related, instrumental classical music.
Thanks Glen
gkella

Showing 2 responses by uru975

Steven Isserlis has a Saint-Saens disc on redbook that has the 2nd cello concerto and the 2nd cello sonata plus Joshua Bell on one piece. He also has a redbook CD called Cello World that does have some but not a lot of vocals.
If your are familiar with Rostopovich his version of Dvorak's cello concerto is my favorite.
While not positive I am fairly sure there should be an SACD of Jacqueline du Pre's version of Elgar's cello concerto.
For guitar check out Christopher Parkening,
Also Julian Bream and John Williams did a couple of albums together.
Would also recommend Laurindo Almeida, and Segovia. You can check them out on Arkivmusic.com and see what they did doing.
Hope this helps.
I know it only scratches the surface but one has to begin somewhere.
One more
Pablo Casals, the sound quality may not be all there but the playing is on a level few have equaled in my hearing and others may be different but not better. I came across a copy of "Homage to Pablo Casals The great Prades and Perpignan Festival Performanes 1950,1951,1952. These are an amazing group. They contain some J.S. Bach cello sonatas and cello concertos, some Mozart, Brahms and Schumann. Some of these performances should be on CD, good luck and good listening.