Best Used Solid State Amp for less than $5000?

I'm sort of toying with the idea of upgrading my amp (threshold S300 - I know, its old) and the one amp that jumps out is the pass X250 which seems like it can be had for about $3000 to $3500 on the used market. Is there anything else that comes to mind? I can't afford the Tenor hybrids and even the Lamm SS's are about $7 to $9K. The rest of my system is as follows:

CF PFR
Fanfare FT-1
Parasound Ultra 2000 CD
Nakamichi DR1 deck
Stax Lamda phones
Sota Star table w / emt
Pass Aleph ono phono
Hales T8 loudspeakers

Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
russellrcncom

Showing 3 responses by jrwr7

Hello Russellrcncom,

In that price range I would recommend the Plinius SA-250MkIV. I purchased mine about two years ago at about that price range and I cannot think of another amp that I would want, for the price. If I'm not mistaken, there is a couple available now on the 'Gon. I've toyed with the idea of upgrading and selling mine but every time I try, I get butterflies in my stomach and I end up keeping it. It is a wonderful amp.......John
Hey Y'all,

The Plinius, as I stated earlier in this thread, would be a wonderful choice but I would not sell the Sim Audio W5 short. I've heard this amp a few times driving Dynaudio 1.3 MkIIs and SEs and this amp paired up very well and did not struggle at all with these demanding speakers. I also want to mention that the Plinius SA-250MkIV toggles from class A/B to class A, meaning that in day to day use you may keep the amp in class A/B where the amp runs very cool and does not heat up the room like a furnace. On those occasions when you want to do some critical listening you can switch over to class A and enjoy how good this amp can sound, but make sure you have the air conditioner on in the summer time........John
John_beavers,

My recommendation of the Plinius was for Russellrcncom, the clarification about the heat generated from the Plinius amp was made to address your statement about not wanting a furnace in your living room. If someone has a preference in amps, I've found it futile to try and dissuade them, I will only offer my opinion. Russellrcncom mentioned that the Plinius has made it to his short list and I was just nudging him towards an amp that has been very good for me.......John