Best Tube Based Options For B&W 803S Speakers

Thinking about taking the plunge into the tube arena to soften up the highs in my 803S speakers. I currently have an Anthem AVM30 using Genelec speakers in a 5.1 theatre system as well as an Anthem A2 pushing the 803S for 2 channel. I will be upgrading to a 7.1 processor at some point possibly the Marantz 8801 and considering an upgrade to the Oppo 105 as well.

My immediate concern is what would make the most sense and be cost effective in terms of trying out some tube equipment for a 2 channel rig. Perhaps keep the A2 and try a tube preamp, or sell it and try an integrated tube amp. Maybe try some type of tube based CD player using the analog bypass in the theatre processor. My budget is around $2,500 used and I am looking for something easy to maintain.

Comments are much appreciated thanks.

bullitt731

Showing 6 responses by bullitt731

The preamp option seems to be the preferred method based on what I have read, but thought I would explore all avenues. Unfortunately there is no one in KC where I live doing much with tube equipment. Any suggestions on a tube preamp would be most appreciated along with cable recommendations.

Thanks again.
Thanks appreciate the comments across the board.

I have no problem updating the amp as well and was looking at the Halo A21 if that would be a better tube preamp match, or other suitable suggestions.

Really no interest in replacing the speakers as they are in mint condition. The base and imaging in my application are excellent. I just want to tone down the highs a touch. Also intrigued about experiencing the tube sound.

Thank you all I at this point I am leaning to the Halo a21 and suitable tube based preamp. This seems like a prudent way to try some tube equipment within my $2500 budget. My Halo dealer will let me borrow their A21 to audition with whatever preamp I pick up. He is also a long time B&W dealer with knowledge of the 803S speakers which will help.

Lastly are there any good reference articles, or books on tube equipment in general, or is it strictly live and learn as you go?

Best Regards.
Unfortunately I just don't have the access to the lines required to go forward with moving tubes into this system at this point. Perhaps a recommendation of a dealer specializing in tube equipment could help my local shops are just not very tube friendly.

Also for those reply's suggesting a new speaker to audition I am ALL EARS. I will be upgrading in 2015 keeping in mind I have owned the B&W 803s, 804s, and 805s and have a $6K budget new or used. I will be heading out to the next RMAF and hope to expand my sonic expectations there. I'm looking for a floor standing "British Sound" speaker I guess suited to Jazz and Vintage Rock predominantly listening to Redbook CDs.

Much appreciate any insight along these lines.
Thanks
The CJ ET-3 SE looks like a definite option here. Any suggestions on power amps in the $2K-$3K range would be appreciated that match up best with this preamp.

Would my Anthem A2 be suitable until I could find an alternative without clouding the sound of the ET-3SE?

Thanks making some progress on all fronts I think.
Looking to move forward on this project would anyone be able to tell me is a CJET3SE would work with the B&W 803s speakers?

With the phono stage included this looks like an economical way to test the waters including the ability of adding an analog source.

Thanks again for your comments guys.